Tooltips not showing up on devices with touchscreen

The plugin seems to be pretty straightforward: install, activate.

I’ve done both, result:

But there are no tooltips shown :frowning:
Not when I’m logged in, not with private browser window and not logged in.
Any idea on how I could debug this?

Maybe my expectation is completely wrong… is this plugin enabled on meta? Because I also don’t see tooltips here as I would expect them with the plugin enabled.

1 Like

Are you testing on a touchscreen laptop? I suggest testing on a Mac to rule out touchscreen interference.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to buy a Mac only to test this :wink:
But indeed the tooltip appears on a laptop without touchscreen (not on meta though).
It isn’t working on a secondary non-touch display connected to a laptop with touchscreen.

At least some user will profit from the tooltips.

Is the touchscreen issue considered a bug?

1 Like

hover does work fine on machines that don’t have touchscreens. You get hover with a mouse or touchpad pointer, for example, here is me hovering over the share button:

But for the laptops that have touchscreen and mouse/touchpad… I’m not sure there is a way to detect when the mouse is unplugged versus plugged in.

I don’t know if there’s any way to fix this through CSS4 media detection:

But it would be nice to be able to fix this for devices that show up as both touchscreen and mouse – to allow hover for them. Users have resorted to disabling the touchscreen on their laptop to get it to work, probably because they never use the touchscreen part anyway.

I tested this … Edit fiddle - JSFiddle - Code Playground and got

• desktop :red_circle: mouse
  • iphone :green_circle: touch
  • surface pro :red_circle: mouse ← wrong!

I also tested Checking device hover capabilities with JavaScript using interaction media features - JSFiddle - Code Playground and same results – the touchscreen + mouse device looks identical to the desktop.

2 Likes

I just merged a fix for this, so the tooltips plugin hovers will now display on touchscreen devices (like Chromebooks, Surfaces) if you navigate using the mouse. (They will not display if you navigate using the touchscreen.)

If you’re self-hosting the site, make sure you rebuild it to pull the recent plugin change.

3 Likes