Slide in hamburger menu in 'mobile view' only on touchscreen + mouse desktops

(David Kingham) #1

When using ‘mobile view’ on a desktop the slide in hamburger menu is unclickable as it slides away when you move towards it. I often use this to test mobile features without having to use a mobile device.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

How is this a “bug”? How does this prevent normal use of Discourse, per the description of the bug category?

(David Kingham) #3

Maybe because it slides away before I can switch it back to desktop mode? Perpetual mobile view kinda sucks!

(Jeff Atwood) #4

So press F12 and switch to a mobile view in the browser?

99% of my users don’t know this functionality.

Currently the “Mobile View” is a trap a user cannot easily escape. Maybe the bug is rather that the “Mobile View” link is offered on a desktop browser?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I suspect simply resizing the browser window would also work.

(David Kingham) #7

I’m afraid it doesn’t, and even it if did, @some-user’s point of a user changing this setting would leave them completely lost, yeah I can figure out how to get out of it, but I’m guessing only 1 or 2 of my users would be able to, I think if someone clicked this setting they would view that as a major bug.

(David Taylor) #8

This makes it really hard to use mobile view on any device with a mouse, which is pretty annoying when developing. I moved this topic from #bug to #dev, since it doesn’t affect most people’s “normal use”.

I’m sure it didn’t used to be an issue. @featheredtoast any ideas? Maybe related to the ember upgrade?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

What in the name of holy hell are y’all talking about here? :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: WHY is this topic still present?

I see NO link to “Mobile View” anywhere on the desktop. I am on Chrome, Windows 10 right now and there’s zero “Mobile View” selection possible in the hamburger menu or anywhere else.

I am using the F12 developer menu in my browser to exercise the mobile view this very second and I have zero issues whatsoever clicking in and out of the mobile slide menus.

(David Taylor) #10

This affects developers (hence #dev). It certainly affected me just now.

Sure, you can ‘get around’ the issue by using chrome’s mobile simulator. But when testing mobile things I find it much easier to use ?mobile_view=1. Try that, without the mobile simulator, and you’ll see how annoying the issue is.

It’s not urgent in the slightest, but would be nice to fix.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Doing so makes zero sense! This is the dictionary definition of “Doctor, It Hurts When I Do This”

Use the functionality built into the browser to test mobile behaviors!

• that’s exactly why it was created in the first place
  • it’s trivial to enter and exit
  • it lets you simulate a slew of mobile devices (and bandwidths!) perfectly

This topic is a colossal waste of everyone’s time. I guess the only good news is maybe people can learn to use the proper tools instead of, I don’t know, repeatedly punching themselves in the face and complaining that … their face kinda hurts? I mean we’re talking about DEVELOPERS here, right? That know how to use TOOLS?

:angry:

p.s. next time leave the topic deleted

I’m as well, and the link is present in (my) hamburger menu:

(David Kingham) #13

I tested in four different browsers, logged in, logged out, and they all show it, on meta.

IF a user were to click on this they would be stuck in mobile view on their desktop, I was only able to get out because I have a touch screen. This is not the same as pressing F12. It seems as though the mobile view button should go away since only developers would ever need this.

(David Taylor) #14

The reason you see it on desktop, and other people don’t, is:

We used to show the ‘mobile view’ button for narrow browsers as well, but I think that was removed recently.

(David Kingham) #15

Gotcha, I actually forgot I had a touch screen since I never use it, but this forced me to use after I realized I was stuck in this view. Seems like it shouldn’t be visible as more and more people have touch screens.

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Ok this is a legit complaint for dual touchscreen and mouse computers then, and I will edit the topic title to make that more clear.

The more surgical fix is not to show this option in that specific (and rare) case. But as I recall it is nearly impossible to detect simultaneous mouse and touchscreen capable devices in the browser.

(Jeff Atwood) #20

Still basically impossible

And this

(Jeff Wong) #23

This should fix your case here - I’ve improved the event handlers on this so pan events are now only registered on touch events :tomato:

(Jeff Wong) closed #24

This topic was automatically closed after 33 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.