Topic List Previews (legacy)

Discourse will have cached the link response so doing this is redundant.

1 Like

Hrmmā€¦is there any way to clear this cache when a post gets edited? Would that be a Discourse problem or something TLP could do?

1 Like

Have you tried my suggestion of random query string? Eg myurl.com?peter=green. TLP is relatively superficial in this scenario.

1 Like

I did, sorry if that was not clear, the picture did not change.

1 Like

Then the og tag being used might not changing. Would need to dig into Discourse source to confirm the exact one being used.

Can you confirm the onebox image is changing within the Topic @Stanzilla? Because if thatā€™s not changing then Onebox is definitely using a different source tag.

If the onebox is not changing then I canā€™t see why TLP would show anything different.

2 Likes

Itā€™s definitely using og:image as seen here in onebox specs: onebox/open_graph_spec.rb at b816ada0cc09a374abdddf195c7986668862a26b Ā· discourse/onebox Ā· GitHub

Unless you are oneboxing some kind of embed, it sounds like some caching issue.

Could you remove the plugin and try my TC instead? That way I can rule out the minor overrides Iā€™m doing for: discourse/cooked_post_processor.rb at 1472e47aae5bfdfb6fd9abfe89beb186c751f514 Ā· discourse/discourse Ā· GitHub here: discourse-topic-previews/cooked_post_processor_edits.rb at 971ba5d3a868506b34b61201c32640a0a6bbaa01 Ā· paviliondev/discourse-topic-previews Ā· GitHub in case they are the issue.

If the TC exhibits the same problem for a fresh Topic then itā€™s down to Discourse core criteria and code.

TC here: GitHub - merefield/discourse-topic-list-previews-theme: Enriches the content and layout of topic lists

1 Like

I can confirm that the Onebox image is changing

1 Like

With your Theme Component, I donā€™t get images at all, looks like this:

1 Like

Something is breaking your javascript. Have you rebuilt without TLP? Running both will not work.

Check your console for errors.

1 Like

I have rebuilt after disabling the plugin, yeah. Console only has warnings:

Edit: I did have another component that influences the styling of this page after disabling that I got the images back.

I then rebuilt the HTML of the post from the original problem and now it shows the updated image. So it works with your component but not the original TLP plugin.

1 Like

I think this happens when a topic gets created using a ā€œfeatured linkā€, when you do that it never uses the media from the actual links in the topic, and you canā€™t change a featured link after the fact.

Bonus fun fact: When you disable ā€œfeatured linksā€ in a category, all posts keep theirs but you can no longer remove them when editing.

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s interesting.

But what happens in TLP plugin when you create a new topic via featured link of the same target page now that the og image has been updated?

If this is too much effort you can stick with the TC.

1 Like

Iā€™ll try in a bit! TC is nice and I would stay on it if it generally just works better but I kinda want/need these other customizations to the topic list that I had to disable and donā€™t think Iā€™ll have time to adopt them to special case for TC and they just work with TLP. What they do is hide the extra avatars in the list so it only shows the one of the topic creator and some more.

1 Like

Okay tested in TLP, removed the featured link from a topic, rebuilt the HTML, now it does not have a image at all.

I then added ?test=true to the URL in the thread. No image.
I then rebuilt the HTML on the post, still no image.

Edit: Okay, took a while but now it has one again, and itā€™s the correct / latest one from the link

1 Like

There is a way to not parse links in topic preview in order so they donā€™t break click on description and go to thread feature?

1 Like

You could try some css? Eg: How to Disable Links | CSS-Tricks

2 Likes

Of course but how to hide/show links for specific user group?

2 Likes

If you need someone to build that for you, suggest posting in #marketplace. Thatā€™s a bit beyond the scope of the plugin.

1 Like

previews/thumbnails are taking 5 minutes to appear for me also

1 Like

This is a core process that runs in the background. The plugin does not modify that. A delay is normal.

2 Likes