Topic List Previews (legacy)

Looks like there maybe a JavaScript error? Can you post any console errors (ignore the warnings)?

I knew I forgot something :sweat_smile:

FYI itā€™s nearly vanilla, your helper plugin, akismet, and calendar are the only plugins

Bingo, you didnā€™t follow the instructions :slight_smile: Again :slight_smile: You need to permit the external script. This is identical to the issue you previously reported. :eyes:

1 Like

Ughhh! I totally forgot about that, so sorry! I was going based off this post and didnā€™t remember that little bit. Trying to do too many things at once :crazy_face:

2 Likes

No worries, there are so many posts and its a more complex setup than I would prefer to have. I sometimes forget.

@davidkingham Iā€™ve modifed that post to add that detail :+1:

No longer required, see below.

2 Likes

@merefield you can let people skip this step by adding it to the theme about.json

4 Likes

Awesome advice, David, thanks, I.will.do.that!

2 Likes

Sorry David, our other David has provided an excellent solution to this and Iā€™ve deployed it so you no longer have to worry about adding this manually :slight_smile: Sorry for all the setup torture :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Donā€™t want to be obtrusive, but is this in scope for one of the next updates? Thanks for your feedback!

2 Likes

I canā€™t give a timeline, but yes, I intend to implement this.

2 Likes

Thumbnail generation has moved to Discourse Core now. What TLP was doing to create thumbnails is now mostly done by Discourse. More and more TLP is just a presentation layer.

Just noticed that CDN urls for thumbs are working now also, yeoww! :smiley:

2 Likes

The thumbnails for featured images are not showing up on the top row after the update. Is there something i need to do? I just have the original TLP plugin installed.

1 Like

Hi @merefield ,

topic list previews are not working after updating.

I completed the rebake process.

preview images do not appear on mobile.

I use amazon s3. Is the problem due to this?

1 Like

Iā€™ve just updated my Discourse to the latest version, and all the topic list image/thumbnails have disappeared from my site.

Is this a bug? All the plug-in settings are still good/active. ā€˜Excerptsā€™ are working okay, but images are not.

1 Like

Guys, you are killing me ā€¦ we have published a policy of only supporting upgrades during the 1st 5 days of the month. You do so at other times at your own risk. Please DONā€™T upgrade during the month if you are hoping to get my prompt attention.

That said, Iā€™ve just tested the plugin on my site, fully updated and thumbnails are generating fine.

Please make sure you are using the official repo: https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-topic-previews

and you have rebaked all posts. Be patient for the time lag as all the processing happens. Results are not immediate.

If then you donā€™t see thumbnails generated and showing up in /latest.json, itā€™s probably not a TLP issue.

6 Likes

I changed my ā€˜download remote images max days old to 3650ā€™ and rebaked, and itā€™s looking good:

cd /var/discourse
./launcher enter app
rake posts:rebake

2 Likes

Sorry, didnā€™t mean to irritate you. Thanks for reminding of the update policy.

2 Likes

No worries. TLP is such a large piece of software now its quite a lot to maintain. This is also true of several other Pavilion plugins, so we are trying to focus support on days 1-5 so we can attend to other priorities the rest of the time. Unless you have a staging server to perform pre-checks on, avoid the temptation of upgrading Production outside of this time if you rely on our plugins :).

If this encourages you to get a staging server up, Iā€™ll be very pleased :slight_smile:

6 Likes

FWIW, I just did an upgrade that failed to bootstrap.

I added this to my app.yml right under params (there is a commented out version there). It bootstrapped and launched and seems to be working.

version: 1a5bcf2a648caf3d277ae2b0856a566789c55e3f
1 Like

Would it possible for you extract only the functionality of selecting thumbnail / featured image and create a separate theme component? I need only this functionality. It would be great if discourse includes this. Your implementation of selecting thumbnail is really intuitive :+1: Iā€™m using a Fakebook theme (Renamed it to Social :slight_smile: ), the masonry layout doesnā€™t seem suitable for it though and using this theme component limits the scrolling behaviorā€¦ and messes up the layout. However, the only functionality required in this theme is selecting the thumbnail. Other themes have your theme component. Hopefully, youā€™ll soon resolve all issues, Theme component looks good thoughā€¦ as learned, Iā€™ll update the pavilion themes/plugins in the first 5 days of the month :slight_smile:

1 Like