Topic List Previews (legacy)

Can you please screenshot your settings, just the few that relate to Featured Images?

Sure here it is

2 Likes

Not convinced this is a bug yet. It is probably behaving as intended.

So via the settings you are limiting it via the setting topic_list_featured_images_count which is 6. All images are appearing. The order of the query is set by when things were tagged (setting topic_list_featured_order), so older will appear first I believe. Thatā€™s why no newer images are appearing, I think.

Increase this number: topic_list_featured_images_count

Or change the order criterium.

(nice looking art btw!)

1 Like

I have tagged new images too but they didnā€™t show up except for the first one in the screenshot. Iā€™ll increase the numbers and check.

Thanks for appreciating the art, our users are really great artists :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No I increased the number to 12 but I still canā€™t see many of the recently tagged artworks. these artworks are also not old. check this screenshot, you can see the featured image as well as the top row beyond the initial 6

1 Like

I see 12 at the top now, looking good?

1 Like

no if you see the screenshot of the gallery, the images between second landscape and the black and white portrait (third from top second column) are not there in the featured image row, they never got added there. To be specific the third image from the top row , the second image (mermaid) the alpaca (4th image in third column) are not visible in the top row

1 Like

First of all, you wonā€™t get more than 12.

Second, they will appear in tagged order. Meaning the order you added the tag to the Topic.
No matter how many images you tag, no more will appear once the limit is reached.

Yes, older ones will generally appear first, because you are likely to have tagged those first. Newer ones are less likely to appear for the same reason.

1 Like

Yes i understand the order and feature. it was working correctly earlier. I even increased the limit to 48 now. And I still canā€™t see these recent images which are recently tagged. I have not tagged older images, these missing images are both recently added and also recently tagged. I can see older tagged images in there but some in between are missing.

it is live on the website you can check the dates.

1 Like

Apologies, I think Iā€™ve managed to reproduce the issue! ā€¦ let me investigate further and revert!

2 Likes

Perhaps do some testing with older dated topics to see if this is consistent behavior, it seems to be in my tests.

Iā€™m wondering if the core changes in May altered something related to the topic structure that is only effecting new topics created since the change. I can for example, take an image from an existing featured topic, create a new topic, tag the topic as featured, and it does not show at top. Toggling the tagging of the same image/topic works as expected however. Weird one.

2 Likes

Thanks for your patience guys:

• fix for Tiles corruption in Firefox
  • fix for missing Featured Images

https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-topic-previews/pull/156/commits/2f9c922833b40c3f6ec0220d2eeca526e4bdcfde

Iā€™ve not exhaustively tested the Featured Images update, but I found an obvious issue with the query which would have likely excluded newer images which I resolved. Let me know how you get on.

@quimgil @raghukamath @AdamAndrews

3 Likes

From some quick testing this seems to have fixed the missing featured images issues I was seeing. New topics are working fine when tagged as featured, and old continue to work as expected. After the updated was applied topics that had been tagged as featured but were not displaying at top corrected themselves. Thank you for taking the time to have a look at this, it is appreciated.

2 Likes

Found a little bug in the TC; when you are scrolled down on a page like latest, visit a topic, then go back, your position on the page is not remembered and it goes back to the top.

2 Likes

@D8vid Moved that discussion here

TLP has moved to using Coreā€™s new Thumbnail logic as described above and in that topicā€¦ This has great benefits for stability not least because the plugin no longer has to carry this out itself so there is less risk of a breaking change during a core upgrade.

Thumbnails are a Topic only concept. However if you install either the TLP plugin or the TLP Theme Component Sidecar you can manually choose which image from all the posts gets represented so long as the image fits the filter criteria.

Unfortunately that means a thumbnail is not maintained per Post.

This logic is almost completely part of Core now so itā€™s not something I have direct influence over. I do not intend to expand on the core logic wrt to Posts. Itā€™s beyond the scope of the plugin.

3 Likes

Seems to be working! Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I need to create thumbnails for urls pasted from other websites, except youtube.com, e.x. TED Talks
How can I do it? Is it possible?

2 Likes

Is there a way to force a single thumbnail size in latest version of TLP? Previously we were using a custom width of 284px for our site (running latest Discourse). Now we are using the setting of ā€œup toā€ 400px in an attempt to approximate our needed width.

However, for some reason not every post is displaying a 400px thumbnail. Every few posts we are seeing blurry thumbnails in topic lists because those posts are using too small of a thumbnail, either 100px or 50px in width instead of 400px. There doesnā€™t seem to be any rhyme or reason why these posts are using a smaller thumbnail than the rest of the posts which all have a 400px thumbnail.

It seems like setting a single width would allow us to not have these blurry thumbnails on our front page. Any advice or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thumbnails are created by core now.

If the link creates a onebox preview, a thumbnail is likely to be created and Topic List Previews will pick it up.

2 Likes