Topic List Previews Theme Component

If you are using the sidecar plugin rebaking shouldn’t be necessary the truncation is taking place in the serializer:

1 Like

I was referring to the default settings, as it looked like that’s what they were changing:

2 Likes

sidecar plugin worked :pray:

2 Likes

I don’t think that this is needed any more. The setting now seems to be on by default.

I’ve removed it from the wiki.

2 Likes

Hi. I hope I’m not asking a question that has been asked before.

I love this component and the wide format on desktop.

On mobile, it works great for posts with images. But a default image would dominate the tile given the amount of text we usually have.

My question is, is there a way to alter the overall height of the tiles and possibly shrink the image too. Currently there is only one post per iOS screen and if there is no image, it is predominantly white space.

Is there a way to adjust this?

Tx a million

2 Likes

This is not intended and looks like a JavaScript crash. Or the renderer is not functioning as expected.

I’m not seeing this on Android nor desktop Safari (even in mobile mode) at present, everything is rendering fine, e.g.:

Unfortunately I do not have an iOS device with me at present.

• Are you running latest code on everything?
  • On Mac safari or even windows chrome or edge do you see any red errors in console? If so can you please share those? They can be from third party code.

On the subject of the default image, it’s a good idea to make that a landscape image with an aspect ratio of 16:9 or similar to ensure each tile doesn’t take up too much space - is that possible? My masonry renderer will attempt to show each entire image and tall portrait images aren’t going to work so well.

1 Like

Hi Robert.

Thanks for responding. I think my site is fully up to date. We are hosted with Communiteq and they do a fab job.

Here is what a post with an image looks like.

Am wondering if I have a setting wrong.

1 Like

I’ll need to see the output of your console on Mac safari. If you need help with getting that, ask Communiteq.

It is possible you have some problem with another Theme Component or Plugin.

1 Like

Thank you. I will get that. I really appreciate the help.

2 Likes

Hi.

The topic preview plug in is really great.

I’ve now installed the sidecar but can’t figure out how to get posts coloured. I’ve selected the setting to take the dominant colour of the thumbnail but nothing has changed.

Could you please explain how to get it he “tiles” to have a background colour using sidecar.

Tx a million.

2 Likes

Does it work with new Topics with images?

If so you might have to rebuild the old Post.

Before you rebuild, you might want to temporarily set this too:

The image shows a screenshot of a software interface with an option labeled "Recreate thumbnails when you rebuild Topic's first post HTML" next to a checkbox, suggesting a setting related to thumbnail recreation in a topic list. (Captioned by AI)

(I can’t recall if that has an influence or not! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

awesome. Thank you. I just had to rebuild the HTML. Catches me quite often that I need to do this for retrospective posts. Looks great. Bronwyn

2 Likes

In the suggestion topic area,
Don’t display thumbnail preview for topic.
How can we fix it? I use fully theme
Thank you so much!

That’s weird.

Does this happen on desktop in mobile mode? Anything strange in browser console?

I cannot repro on two sites:

Check your settings.

1 Like

I’ve updated the Sidecar with a much improved solution for eliminating YouTube thumbnail black bars

You should no longer need to toggle this setting on and off as it will not crop images that aren’t YouTube legacy 4:3 images.

3 Likes

Hello sir,

Any way to get out of this format where the previews are so large?

Yes, make the right sidebar slightly smaller and the centre column will split into two.

Conversely make the right sidebar bigger and the centre column will shrink.

3 Likes

Sir,

How about making these details bigger? There an easy way to do this?

1 Like

You will need to explore some CSS yourself.

Feel free to fork and modify.

I provide the theme component for free but my capacity to provide free support for customisation is limited.

If you need help marketplace.

NB That CSS was carefully chosen so as to minimise the amount of space it takes up so you it can fit a lot of user avatars in the space to the right.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed a new clash between the Topic List Previews TC and Discourse Calendar (and Event).

When

1. The display post event date on topic title setting for the Calendar plugin is :white_check_mark:
  2. Topic List Previews is installed and active on the theme

The dates / countdown in the topic list disappear. This occurs in both TLP configured categories (expected) and categories which don’t have TLP configured (unexpected):

With TLP inactive:

With TLP active:

2 Likes