Topic List Previews Theme Component

Can I achieve something like this through the #theme-component?

3 Likes

Yes, you’d have to:

• modify the maximum width of the standard topic list using CSS
    e.g:

.wrap {
      max-width: 2000px;
    }

• install something like the Layouts plugin to add the sidebars (but should work with other sidebar Components).

All relatively straightforward

However I’m not sure > 3 columns is very digestible and that includes sidebars?

Yeah, I’ll probably have to scale it down a little… :thinking:

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Hi @merefield
If you know - how can I disable images in topic excepts?
Here is an example of the issue that I have -

I put a mouse on the image in except (it shows blank).
I want to remove it completely to keep only text in short form under topic - as I already have a big picture as thumbnail

How is it better to do it?

The contents of excerpts is down to Discourse.

This behaviour is a little surprising because images are usually not included?

Can you link me to the forum post and I might be able to take a quick look? (feel free to PM me).

For comparison, this Topic has an image, but it is not included in the excerpt: List of Gameloops (WIP) - StarZen: The Unofficial Star Citizen Community

3 Likes

Just guessing, but could that image-in-excerp situation come from webshop linking? Then Discourse shall see a piece of content that includes image too.

3 Likes

Thank you for the proposition @merefield
I’ve found that excerpts work correctly when not in titles.
The issue was in “display: grid;” style.
Probably it’s from my other theme components. Will investigate further.

Thanks again!

1 Like

The “image” was an avatar broken visually :slight_smile: My fault with styles - I’ve described what it was in previous comment. Thanks for the guessing!

It seems you have the theme sidecar plugin installed.

Could you try with this setting on (in plugin settings):

I just tried with an emoticon in the text and there’s definitely a nice cleanup if you use this setting.

3 Likes

Nope, I don’t use sidebar plugin.
Here is my general page view. It will be launched publicly soon.

Excerpts in tiles look ok with this CSS

.tiles-style .topic-details {
 display: block !important;   
}

Examples

2 Likes

Looks good! Nice background :+1:

Note I said ‘sidecar’ plugin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, sorry - I totally forgot about ‘sidecar’ plugin
- git clone https://github.com/merefield/discourse-topic-previews.git -b "theme_sidecar"

Thanks! Will try with it too. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi, Love the component, makes for a heck of a gallery using tags!

This new update seems to have knocked out the ability to select the thumbnail from the topic. Not sure I am describing that correctly. When editing the main topic title, you used to be able to pick the thumbnail for the thread, but now I just have a checkmark and an “X”. Any help would be much appreciated. If you need it here is my forum, MPCNC Portable/Storable Build - Your Builds - V1 Engineering Forum

1 Like

Have you installed the sidecar plugin? That is required. A Component alone can’t implement that as it requires changes to the API which requires a plugin … see Which one to install: Plugin or TC? - Topic Previews - Pavilion

No I don’t see it but it was working for a very long time previously.

I will try that, Thank you for helping out.

1 Like

The sidecar plugin is broken on latest tests-passed with Ember CLI enabled.

Uncaught Error: Could not find module preload-store imported from discourse/plugins/discourse-topic-list-previews/discourse/initializers/preview-route-edits

If I was more of a frontend person I would submit a pull request but I have no idea where to start.

4 Likes

Thanks Richard, I’ll take a look asap.

1 Like

Btw this is a little odd because there should be no javascript in the sidecar plugin. Can you double check you have the sidecar branch? It’s not yet on master. The master branch contains the deprecated plugin and the warning. I’ll be addressing that soon, but it’s left there in part to alert the admin to switch.

1 Like

You are right, our plugin deployment thing has a regression so it does not check out the correct branch the first time. My apologies for not double checking!

3 Likes

No problem Richard, it is a bit unusual.

3 Likes