Topic List Previews

Thanks for the clarification. That really is an edge case, I didn’t know I could force the download of all remote images, which looks like the best approach for me (S3 is inexpensive and avoiding broken images is important).

Thank you!

3 Likes

First of all let me just say thank you for this awesome plugin!

I don’t know if I’m completely misunderstanding how to set this up correctly or if it’s just not possible.

Is it possible to have a particular category display in excerpt mode?

I tried a couple of different things but the only way i got it halfway working was to set it to the blogposts tag and access them via this link.

but then if I click on the category blog posts it only displays them in the default manner. Anways I just want to say thanks again!

1 Like

Sorry if instructions are not clear. The Category can be set up in its own settings:

(I even added a heading for the TLP settings recently to make it more obvious :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much!

Didn’t realize you could change it in the settings of the category.

Got it working now!

1 Like

Hi @Robert, I’ve enabled thumbnails for category and recent topics and it’s working well. However I do not see the thumbnails on my forum home page (the right panel). How can I enable thumbnail preview for it ?

Thank you

1 Like

What do you mean by ‘right panel’?

TLP only supports the main lists.

I’m @merefield btw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

here is the screenshot of the homepage of my forum (dev, not prod), I would like to display thumbnails previews for recent topics that appears on the right side of the page (instead of showing my avatar).

Thank you

4 Likes

Got it. Unfortunately TLP doesn’t support the Category style home page. We’ve never added it simply because of the limited space available.

That’s not to say we might not try it at some point.

5 Likes

ohh that’s a pity :frowning:
That would be nice to have it there, it would make the home page more attractive

2 Likes

I’m always reviewing this as am aware of this missing capability and it’s something I’d like to address at some point.

1 Like

well, i would be very happy if you release this feature, my board is all about image sharing
Anyway, thanks a lot for your plugin !

1 Like

Several image based sites use tiles view with Latest as the selected main page but am aware that doesn’t emphasise the category structure.

3 Likes

Thank you for this fantastic plugin! It’s working great for our site so far. Just a little problem I ran into:

We’re not seeing thumbnails being generated from video embeds. We’re using Bombbomb to create some explainer videos. Once we create a video, Bombbomb gives us a link which we drop into a new topic on our forum. Discourse uses the link to create a video embed.

Here’s an example link: http://vid.us/jmeecv

Dropping that into Discourse generates this embed:

Here’s the embed code that Discourse generates from the link:

<video title="Placeholder video" width="695" height="390" style="max-width:100%" poster="https://content.bombbomb.com/video_thumbs/fb68db6e-5922-48ea-a391-8bbfb77b758f.jpg?r=1584235702" controls=""> <source src="https://content.bombbomb.com/fb68db6e-5922-48ea-a391-8bbfb77b758f_H264Main.mp4"> </video>

So we’ve got a poster attribute with an image but for some reason that image isn’t being used as the thumbnail for the tiles view. We’d like the video poster image to be used as a thumbnail for this post.

Is there something I’m missing, or is this a problem with onebox, or the Topic List Previews plugin?

1 Like

I’m not sure why it doesn’t work because I already tagged

1 Like

Is there an image in that Topic?

1 Like

In first post not has but i set by thumbnail

1 Like

I just checked adding that video to a TLP-less forum. image_url is not populated there either so I can only conclude that those videos are not supported.

2 Likes

Can you PM me the Topic and I’ll take a look when I get chance?

Thanks for looking into this!

1 Like

Thumbnail Chooser –

Hope you all are safe and well. Strange times, these.

Any thoughts on the best way to go about automatically triggering the thumbnail selection dialog when the OP of the topic submits a new post or a post edit? I’m trying a few things with api.reopenWidget(“post”), but I feel like it could be simpler than that, and wanted to see if the collective mind here might have any suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like