Topic List Previews (legacy)

TLP predates that component.

There is also a TC version of TLP (Which one to install: Plugin or TC? - Topic Previews - Pavilion)

They differ slightly in appearance and TLP has several additional features including the ability to choose a thumbnail from any post in a Topic.

That component does offer an additional view type not supported by TLP (grid), which is a bit like tiles but everything is in lines. No reason we couldn’t add it if there was sufficient demand.

3 Likes

continuing this discussion here as it doesn’t apply to the Fakebook theme.

anyway, as asked there, would the Layouts Plugin + a sidebar of choice + TLP (TC) be the better choice (vs. TLP plugin) for a new growing “social” community since there probably wouldn’t be enough content for the Chrome bug to be experienced? maybe that bug will be fixed soon anyway, right?

Give it a go? I never scroll that far in any case. When was the last time you scrolled down meta 4 screens?

It seems that the ‘tiles’ view is not working as expected for ‘top’ lists.

My settings:

The result (link):

2 Likes

OK i’ve just updated two sites, one with the TC and one with the plugin (e.g. this site), and neither is exhibiting this issue, so it’s starting to look local to you.

On the Top page are you getting a javascript error?

Could you try resetting the topic list tiles setting and then adding back your options?

1 Like

Yeah I agree it looks local. I’m getting no errors and the reset didn’t work. I’ll dig a little deeper.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing weird behavior in topic excerpts.
For the topics that were created before the installation of this plugin, the excerpt is created from the first answer in the thread, and not the thread’s body itself.
If I create some topic with the plugin enabled, I get the correct behaviour of having an excerpt from the topic’s body.

Is it a known issue?

1 Like

Hi @merefield - I would like to recreate a fakebook-like experience with layouts and the tlp component (i already have both installed and working fine). How can I create a single column by either (1) adjusting the tiles, or (2) adjusting the topic list?

1 Like

Only the TC will work this way as Tiles for TLP plugin is not responsive to sidebars.

With the TC you simply install it alongside the Layouts plugin and add sidebar widgets of your choice.

The TC is responsive and will drop to two or one columns automatically depending on number and size of sidebars.

2 Likes

How to activate to display the icon on topics that have no image?

Look for these settings in the plugin’s settings:

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 5.17.38 PM

This is from the theme component, but iirc the settings are the same.

1 Like

I have enabled this option, but the icon is not displayed as I mentioned above

if i upload the image it works

1 Like

Hey Rob, I know you’re super busy but want to bring this to your attention for the next round of updates. There seems to be a bug when switching categories that have different layouts, so if I go from a category with tiles enabled and switch to another category without thumbnails things seem to break down. The strange thing is that it only seems to happen when following direct links like I have in top menu, if I use the links from the categories page it doesn’t happen. Also, this happens in all browsers and I don’t see anything pertinent in the console or logs.

2 Likes

We discovered a strange bug regarding the order of featured images:

Although this option is set to true, sometimes topics get featured when they receive a new post. Surprisingly, there’s no definite position where they show up, e.g. it might be the 3rd position. So the order seems to be dependent on more than creation date alone. Would be great, if you could have a look! Thank you!

Edit: We just had the bug again: The recently commented topic showed up as 3rd image while the newest topic vanished from the list.

2 Likes

From the video, I see you have the loading slider component on your site. I suspect Topic List Previews has an incompatibility with the loading slider. (the way transitions are handled between pages is slightly different)

So I’d recommend you disable either the loading slider, or topic list previews. The official component for topic thumbnails does work with the loading slider, so hopefully Topic List Previews will be updated soon.

4 Likes

Indeed it was the loading slider, I have removed it for now and all is better. Thanks David!

4 Likes

I discovered another small bug: If I click on a featured image on our site (https://1e9.community) and then push the browser’s back button I land on some other page than the homepage. Can you reproduce this on your sites as well? Thanks!

2 Likes

When using tiles view and an image is auto generated from the metadata of a link inside of the post, the image is never updated even you edit/remove the link from the post.

Assuming this uses open graph images, I checked and the target site had the updated image as OG.

1 Like

The image sourcing is native discourse these days. It’s possible there is caching going on. Add a random query string at end of url and rebuild?

1 Like

Yeah I tried that, fun part is I can even remove the links inside of the post completely and rebuild the HTML and it will still show the old image.

1 Like