Touch offset issues on Android Chrome again

Continuing the discussion from Experiencing touch offset issues replying on Android:

I’m sorry to inform that we have now received two separate reports on new issues which resemble recent problems fixed by Android Chrome version 68 something. They report that unlike before, they can write their posts as usual. However, they cannot hit the reply button on bottom left because of touch offset. The touch is registered just as you would react to a touch somewhere in the middle of the post. When the issue strikes them, they are forced to reload the page or do some other tricks to be able to send the post. The issue is completely similar to the earlier issue. The keyboard works, but touching anywhere else on the screen is affected by the offset. It’s a regression.

They both have Android phones but the make and Android version differs. One has Samsung phone with Android 8.0, the other has a Huawei phone with Android 7.0. However, they both use Chrome 70.0.3538.80 which is the latest version.

This is certainly something that Android and Chrome developers must fix, but of course we at Discourse must be aware that the issue is present.

1 Like

Can you repro this @jomaxro or @falco?

I have not seen this reoccur, no. I also am not running Android 7 or 8 anymore, I’m already at 9. I’ll keep an eye out for this, and see if any of my old phones in the drawer run Nougat or Oreo.

4 Likes

A third reporter claims that he discovered a nice workaround. According to him, touching any button on the editor toolbar makes the problem go away. No need to reload the page, double-tapping the gearwheel button is enough.

It’s often diffcult to understand what they are telling when they report bugs. After discussing further, it appears that this bug doesn’t behave any differently than the earlier bug fixed by Android Chrome update 68. This appears to be a pure regression.

Edit. A Chrome regression, obviously! I must emphazise this it seems. I thought I made myself clear in the first post of this topic.

1 Like

Looks like a Chrome Duet bug: Issue 900843 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail

Workaround: Disable Chrome Duet in the flags.

4 Likes

What the heck is Chrome Duet?

This is not our bug @rizka, however much you might pray that it is. It ain’t.

2 Likes