Tracking signups from referral

pr-welcome

(William) #1

Hello

Following my question here I’m suggesting this feature.

I think shared content leading to a signup should count as an invitation

I believe users are more likely to share interesting content than send email invitations.

Each time a user lands on Discourse through a ?u=username link and then signs up, this should be counted as an invitation by @username

This could appear like this on the user profile (screen from /users/username/invited/redeemed in french )

Pros

• Able to track influencers based on actual signups not only traffic
  • Removing steps to invite people (literally 2 clicks away on any URL)

Cons

• Risk of fake signups (but no incremental risk compared to email invitations)

Who else is interested in this?

Any comments or ideas?

Tracking signups from referrals
(Sam Saffron) #2

I like this idea, and I don’t think its too hard to implement.

I think if you share a link on twitter that somehow leads to someone signing up you had some influence on the account creation and this should be tracked.

I am putting a #pr-welcome on this for now, but we can revise later and see if we add it to a release.

(Bianca) #3

What exactly is expected here?

From a developer’s point of view:

• include a schema change (to add a referred_by field to table users)
  • look for the parameter that says who is the referral and store it in a session
  • change sign up mechanism to save the referral field from sessions into the referred_by field

From an administrator’s view of point:

• dashboard with statistics that show the user that brought the most users
  • and the user who brought most visitors (did not register an account)

From a user’s view of point:

• can he specify the name of the user that referred him even though he did not do that by giving him a link
  • should the part that is used for link sharing to be modified to also include the referral parameter

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Sure, but this is stretch-goal territory.

Same as above I think, but I’m also not entirely clear on what you’re proposing here. Could you please rephrase, with a bit more detail?

(Bianca) #5

Nevermind. I did not notice that ?u=<username> part in the links that are shared and thought that this is a requirement as well.

(Bryan Holst) #6

I’d love to see this feature also! This would be extremely useful. Any updates on this?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #7

This will likely be part of this year’s GSoC. Stay tuned :wink:

(Bryan Holst) #8

Just checking in to see if there are any updates on this?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

It did not get picked up for GSoC, but if @nbianca or anyone else wants to take this on we’d be happy to sponsor the work.

(cosmo) #10

Not looking to go off the topic, but my question here seems not far off from this one

(Vikas Kedia) #13

I want to do this.

How does the sponsorship work?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #14

I’ll send you a pm about it.