Twitter embeds no longer showing

Cannot find any mention of this so far; I’m running a completely regular Discourse instance currently on 2.5.0.beta6 and we’re getting an issue where newly created Twitter links just show a pair of brackets instead of any content. There’s still the outline structure of the usual embed layout, just no content.

This is a recent change, and older Twitter links are showing just fine, it’s only stuff in the last week or so that’s not right. I’ve run a test on this forum and it’s dragging all the content in just fine.

1 Like

This is what we get at the moment:

1 Like

Could it be specific to your forum? I just copied a tweet and it renders fine here

1 Like

Oh definitely, I tested on here before posting and it was fine for me too. I just cannot work out what it is that’s causing the issue, as I’ve not changed any settings in quite a while, just done the updates as and when they come out.

1 Like

Could it be that twitter is throttling you for some reason? Have you added twitter api keys to your forum to enable rich embedding?

EDIT: my suspicion is correct, twitter have removed support for opengraph tags so you’ll need to enable rich embeds by adding api keys to your discourse

3 Likes

I’ve followed those instructions, the rich embeds don’t work properly (no images get pulled through for example), and basic pasting of Twitter URLs still yields the above set of brackets.

2 Likes

I’m starting to wonder if a forum update has failed at some point; is there an easy way to test this or to pull the whole repository and rebuild without destroying the forum (some down time is perfectly acceptable)?

1 Like

Duplicate of Twitter embeds have broken

2 Likes