Unable to update Discourse...help?

When I try to update Discourse, I get this:

You are running an old version of the Discourse image.
Upgrades via the web UI are disabled until you run the latest image.

To do so log in to your server using SSH and run:

•    cd /var/discourse*

•    git pull*

•    ./launcher rebuild app*

Does this mean we are self hosting? We pay Digital Ocean for “hosting” but is this a different type of hosting?

If we, in fact, do self host, according to Discourse’s definition, and we need to follow this article, then what is the solution, as this type of manual update is far beyond our skill set? (I run my own business solo and already have become a professional at countless skill sets, including teaching myself to run Discourse at the level it’s at right now, I don’t have time to also teach myself developer skills at this level of expertise. :sob:)

Can I just not update Discourse? How bad would that be? Should I hire someone to do this for me? Or should I forgo Discourse altogether?

Would appreciate any advice!! Thanks friends!

1 Like

If you have a Droplet running Discourse, you are effectively self-hosted

You just have to access the Droplet via SSH, just like the first time you did the installation, and execute the given commands :grin:

You can choose not to update, but in my personal opinion I do not recommend it, as there could be security patches or important changes

3 Likes

Yes, you are self hosting. You are buying hosting from DigitalOcean but you need to manage everything on top of that hosting by yourself.

You could try to do it yourself but if something unexpected happens you have an issue, or hire someone to do it for you, or you can get managed hosting so everything is done for you (with Discourse.org or for instance with Communiteq).

4 Likes

Hi @mallorycs :slight_smile:

Have you managed to update your Discourse yet? Updating from the droplet can be a little scary at first, but it does get easier the more you do it. :slight_smile: Digital Ocean also have a console option you can use from your droplet page, which makes accessing it a bit easier. Let me know if you want any extra advice. :+1:

4 Likes

@Alexander @RGJ @JammyDodger Oh my gosh thank you all for the advice!! My boyfriend took it upon himself to read this and jump into the droplet and figure out the updates. Seems to have worked! Phew :sweat_smile: Thank you!!

4 Likes

Nice! I recommend you have him walk you through the steps to upgrading from the command line. It’s not so hard at all if you have the steps written down. If you run into trouble, you can always ask here.

2 Likes