UNOFFICIAL - Release video for Discourse v1.1 "Aeschines"

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Discourse Version 1.1:

I’ve been wanting to learn more about video editing, so for my first iMovie project (no budget for Final Cut Pro yet I’m afraid) I decided to make a video mimicking the format of the WordPress release video, hopefully with voiceover next time.

Please note that this is not intended for general consumption. Since it was a learning project I didn’t spend time on polishing. Should however a similar video be desirable for the v1.2 release, I would be happy to spend more time making a solid showcase video.

Comments on pacing, timings, use of effects, transitions etc. are very welcome. And what did you think about the tune?

p.s. If some well-spoken smooth talker would like to volunteer for voice-overs, let me know. I tried myself, but my voice and my Norwegian dialect doesn’t lend itself well to this sort of thing.

UNOFFICIAL - Features Highlight page for Discourse v1.1 "Aeschines"
I want a video to show new users the features of Discourse
(Sam Saffron) #2

Really like the video, flagging thing is not that new but it does highlight the new feature really well. A bit more focus on search and perhaps a “before/after” thing would help give it more oomph

I would really love to link to a video like this from our blog, even for 1.1 if we could get it all right, but will let @codinghorror chime in first :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I love the concept but I wonder if it is better to make smaller per feature videos maybe even animated gifs.

(Mittineague) #4

I love it too.
~2 minutes doesn’t seem too long of a time for my current attention span.

Do you think
Content-Length: 5244759
is too much weight?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

I was thinking of doing “before/after”, but do to that effectively I need to first figure out how to set up a developer instance of Discourse and how to run older versions on it. Might be a while still…

If you give me some specs for an official v1.1 movie I’d be happy to give it a go. Just remember you’re talking to a guy who first started playing around in iMovie 2 days ago :smile:

It’s not that great of a stretch to aim for both. When I have the footage I need to make a short video, making a collection of gifs (say, for more static feature pages) is just a matter of reusing the assets i’ve already got.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Because we love @erlend_sh, I went ahead and retroactively added this video to the old 1.1 release blog post:

I think it’s plenty good enough to ship, and since we do these videos for every release, I felt it would be nice to include this first one as well.

Why, it feels like it was only 417 days ago… :wink: