Update a theme component (ad placeholder with html)

Hello everyone,

Two years ago, I’ve called a developper for a client to create a theme component allowing a forum to create an custom ad between posts. The ad takes the form of a discourse post.

The ads, name and avatars are customable, we can define on what categories they’re shown, what ranks should see them, etc.

Basically, the ad works like this,

And the admin part looks like this

Anyway, it worked perfectly until last year (around this time : Commits · discourse/discourse · GitHub). The ads is still shown but the html doesn’t work anymore.

Sadly the dev is not available anymore so I come to you about this.

I can’t share publicly the code but of course it will be shared to the developper willing to take the project or at least work

If you need a little bit more info about the theme component, how it works, feel free to ask me

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

I know the budget is not that high, we hope we can work on a 120$ budget.
Of course, I can share the code with a dev to see if it can be done in this budget.

Did you try rebuilding the HTML for the post?

Plugin or theme component?

1 Like

Theme component, it was a plugin in a first version but remade into a TC, my bad.

They aren’t real post, I don’t know how to best describe it, they are more like auto-generated placeholders, they don’t have any discourse option to like, quote, edit or rebuild.

2 Likes

May need to share the git repo if it has one at least if you go with market help in a pm to keep it private.

There have been a lot changes in core. So marketplace is likely your best place to ask. Depending on the DeV and the amount of work required to update the component might not be a big expense. The plus the DeV may even give an idea how long they might be willing to keep it updated to help prevent future breakage.

One thing I see that maybe related if my understanding is correct. One of the changes is moving from ember component? To glimmer components - but that is fairly recent.

The adplugin templates may give an idea on html/css maybe.

1 Like

I’ve moved the topic in the marketplace category and edited the first post

1 Like

I’ll send you a PM. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@Arkshine did a great job, the theme component works again.

6 Likes