Update hangs for a really long time -- okay to reset?

(I searched for any similar threads before posting this, but they all seem old)

I just did an update for Discourse, and it’s hanging for a lot longer than usual and I’m not sure if it’s safe to press the reset button since it warns not to do that except as a last resort:

Has this happened to anyone else? Will it keep chugging until it’s done or should I pull the reset trigger?

I’m using the stock Digital Ocean setup.

Can you please try rebuilding?

Please SSH into your server and run:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app
4 Likes

Yup, that did the trick. So – should one ever pull the reset trigger in the admin backend, or is it better to just always manually restart from the server?

1 Like

I had to pull that trigger once - I did a web upgrade, it hung, did a rebuild, web still said “updating” but I knew it wasn’t. Had to reset to get Docker Manager to say “Up to date”.

Yeah, it is safe. I’ve done it a few times as well, especially if my server went into heavy load and the upgrade died due to lack of resources. I’ve yet to find myself in a place where it caused me any significant issues or downtime.

3 Likes

Hi Lars,

We have done quite a lot in the past two years to improve the web installer, it now is better about not needing resets, has an upgrade all button, and prompts you very nicely when you need to pop to the console to to an upgrade.

How is your install going?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.