Updating Discourse causes white on white categories

Hi,

After the latest update (Beta 6) the category background on the home page is now a little stripe. However this UX change in conjunction with using a white category foreground colour makes the text unreadable.

Previously when the background color was behind the text this looked perfectly fine.

Is there custom CSS I can add to make the category background color show behind the text? I would rather not change the text color to black as the contrasting colors are harder to read on the individual category pages where the background image is still behind the text.

2 Likes

Can you try restarting?

Thanks Sam. A restart did the trick.

For what it’s worth, I had the same problem and restarting also fixed it.

yeah, its super annoying, something is not restarting right wrt docker manager

This is an updater bug not a bug with the code per se.

I will try to get this sorted for our next point release it is quite bad.

2 Likes

@sam I’m encountering this same issue. I’m running my docker install on Digital Ocean. What’s the safest/best way to properly restart Discourse?

You can also toggle the bar / box setting from bar to box back to bar and it’ll display the category names correctly.

2 Likes

reboot is fine ./launcher restart app is fine

That did the trick without restarting thanks.

3 Likes

Maybe we should add a restart button to docker manager?

2 Likes

Yeah I really want that. The odd thing is that it restarted but somehow data is old.

This is a blocker for the 1.2 release so let’s make sure we get it sorted next week @sam

This subtle and very complicated bug is now fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/63404b16bb30ab0e4f76c77a27fc2f58b16b65fd

A sequence of events was causing incorrect json to be cached, we noticed this issue elsewhere in our infrastructure regularly but never managed to pin it.

4 Likes