User can't repurchase a subscription product after canceling

I’ve got an odd problem cropped up here with a subscriber.

They have no active subscriptions in under the Billing section;

In Stripe it shows as cancelled;

yet they cannot resubscribe… says already purchased;

Have I set something up incorrectly?

1 Like

That looks like you might have your webhook endpoint improperly configured. When the subscription period ends, Stripe sends a webhook which the plugin uses to remove group membership, and remove the user from being an existing customer on that product (which allows the user to purchase again).

You’ll need to make sure this is configured per the OP here: Discourse Subscriptions

One way you to confirm from your server:

./launcher enter app
rails c
u = User.find_by_username(<username>)
c = DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer.where(user_id: u.id)
subscription = DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.where(customer_id: c.customer_id)

Be sure to replace <username> with the actual username of the user.

If subscription returns [], there’s another issue going on. But if it returns a value, that likely confirms the missing webhook.

To delete the DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription entry so the user can purchase the product again:

Make sure subscription has only one value by running subscription.count. If the value returned is greater than 1, you’ll have to do a bit more digging to make sure you’re deleting the correct subscription instance. If you delete the wrong one, your subscriptions data will be in an inconsistent state and likely yield weird behavior.

Once you’ve confirmed there’s only one subscription, then you can run:

subscription.destroy_all

Keep in mind that subscription is the value returned from the initial set of queries we ran in the Rails console.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thanks @justin

• got to the last line subscription and ran it… returned this;

NoMethodError: undefined method customer_id' for #<DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer::ActiveRecord_Relation:0x000055be473772f0> from /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activerecord-6.1.3.2/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:110:in method_missing’

• Checked Stripe webhooks and it’s pointed to https://./s/hooks

• Events sent to webhook;

• subscription_schedule.updated

• subscription_schedule.expiring

• subscription_schedule.created

• subscription_schedule.canceled

• Stripe webhook log has one entry from setup date which looks to be establishing the events supported.

• I have an event entry in Stripe that is a cancellation of a subscription, but… the line entry says (effectively) “[subscription was canceled]” however when I click into the event, it says the event type is customer.subscription.deleted … which I notice is not listed in my webhooks event list.

Could the above be the problem?

1 Like

Looks like the line should be DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription instead of ::Customer. Try that and see what you get!

1 Like

[2] pry(main)> c = DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.where(user_id: u.id)
=> #DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription::ActiveRecord_Relation:0x8020
[3] pry(main)> subscription = DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.where(customer_id: c.customer_id)
NoMethodError: undefined method customer_id' for #<DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription::ActiveRecord_Relation:0x000055ec51164ca0> from /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activerecord-6.1.3.2/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:110:in method_missing’

1 Like

Sorry, I misunderstood where this was happening.

Try this instead:

./launcher enter app
rails c
u = User.find_by_username(<username>)
c = DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer.find_by(user_id: u.id)
subscription = DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.where(customer_id: c[:customer_id])
1 Like

Ah…

[3] pry(main)> subscription = DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.where(customer_id: c[:customer_id])
=>

1 Like

Do you think the lack of subscription data has anything to do with the customer.subscription.deleted event being missing?

Is there anything I should explore next at this point?

I’m particularly interested in focusing on why the subscription page shows “purchased” while the active subscriptions section shows no active subs… is there some other place in the database where sub info is stored which might be cleared / empty under the active subs section but somehow a “purchased” boolean is still set to true somewhere … or something like that?

1 Like

Is there anything else to try here?

1 Like

Make sure in Stripe the purchase is fully cancelled and not waiting to be cancelled at the end of the period. You can also look under the Admin → Plugins → Discourse Subscriptions → Subscriptions area and look for this user’s username. If they have a subscription listed there, you can cancel it immediately.

Without further looking into your Discourse instance, I’m not sure how much further I can help.

1 Like

yeah it’s not active under subscriptions in the plugin area, and also not on stripe either… the only thing that indicates anything is still active is if the user goes to the subscription page, they see a little green “purchased” checkmark and “go to billing”.

If I go to billing as the user in question, nothing;

So my question is - what in the database triggers that green checkmark and can it be cleared?

If this list includes the Stripe product id as per here:

Then the front end will display it as purchased. You may need to dig around the console with these queries to find out where it’s located. I almost guarantee there’s a record hanging around there yet.

1 Like

Ok, I know I’m necromancing this thread but 1) this continues to go unsolved, and 2) I found some time to dig into this again… turns out I was a moron who could not follow directions. This is how I found out I’m a dummy, and why I’m now ready to solve this (with some help).

What I ended up doing was exporting a CSV from stripe of all cancelled accounts. I focused on the very same discourse user referenced above in this thread who was a subscriber, had cancelled, but then could not re-subscribe because the subscription page showed as “purchased” even though his active subscriptions page showed no subs. In the CSV data, his record showed as “canceled” with the following data;

• id (sub_JNWejdDo4qhLG5)
  • customer_id (cus_JmiMoqZNTzUNxt)
  • user_id (discourse user id 4981)

Then I attached to the app container, went into the ruby console, and started poking around. First I searched the for his customer ID in DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer and found it.

[3] pry(main)> DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer.where(customer_id: 'cus_JNWeiIWTs6YOwQ')
=> [#<DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer:0x000055db2d48eb40
  id: 16,
  customer_id: "cus_JNWeiIWTs6YOwQ",
  product_id: "prod_JJbwYnKz0T5Z9h",
  user_id: 3256,
  created_at: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 07:45:07.455275000 UTC +00:00,
  updated_at: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 07:45:07.455275000 UTC +00:00>]

Next I searched DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription to see if this user had any subscriptions and turns out yes, yes they did;

[1] pry(main)> DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.where(external_id: 'sub_JNWejdDo4qhLG5')
=> [#<DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription:0x000055854e1e1620
  customer_id: 16,
  external_id: "sub_JNWejdDo4qhLG5",
  created_at: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 07:45:07.459681000 UTC +00:00,
  updated_at: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 07:45:07.459681000 UTC +00:00>]

So, it appears I can simply remove this subscription record and fix everything… for this user. The fact is, every cancelled user I checked on my CSV export still had remaining subscriptions in the system. Obviously there is a disconnect somehow / somewhere between the Stripe webhook and the subscription plugin… I just don’t know where / how.

• First; how do I safely remove the subscription record data for a particular user? Explain it to me like I’m 5… I’m at the ruby console prompt… how do I ensure only the target user’s subscription data is removed and I don’t wipe out everyone’s subscription data?

• Second, how do I troubleshoot the subscription cancellation webhook mechanism?

All your help is very much appreciated!

UPDATE:

Ok, I got a little further… I managed to sort out how to use .delete_by to only remove subscription data for the target user;

[1] pry(main)> DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.delete_by(external_id: 'sub_JNWejdDo4qhLG5')
[2] pry(main)> DiscourseSubscriptions::Subscription.where(external_id: 'sub_JNWejdDo4qhLG5')
=> []

However, the customer record still has a product_id associated;

[3] pry(main)> DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer.where(customer_id: 'cus_JNWeiIWTs6YOwQ')
=> [#<DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer:0x0000560ec18e4948

This means the are still seeing the green check and can’t resubscribe… so I applied the “destroy_all” to the Customer object… and it worked! But only for that user of course…

[4] pry(main)> DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer.where(customer_id: 'cus_JNWeiIWTs6YOwQ').destroy_all
=> [#<DiscourseSubscriptions::Customer:0x0000560ec19770e0

So now it’s just down to diagnosing why the Stripe webhook for cancelled subscriptions isn’t working.