User-Created Categories

I’d love to be able to give everybody the ability to create new categories, even if they aren’t an admin. This is for a company private internal Discourse instance, so we don’t really need to worry about spam or untrusted users mucking things up too much – but we still would prefer not to make every employee a full site admin.

I’d also want this ability, perhaps gated to those above a certain trust level?

There is no UI at the moment for adding global “abilities” to groups, we would need this first.

This is really far off. If you trust your users that much, make them all admins as a short term workaround.

Otherwise create a topic for new categories and have people post to it when they need a new category… watch that topic as admin, and voilà

Maybe moderators could (optionally) be given the permission?

Sure, that’s the workaround we’ve implemented for now. We can’t make them all admins, because it’d give them access to settings they really shouldn’t have even if we trust them as employees, like S3 credentials and the ability to change authentication methods.

Totally open to a site setting that allows moderators to create categories, that is fine.

1 Like

Right on, I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

This is now complete

“moderators create categories : Site Setting”

3 Likes

Beautiful, thank you @sam

It looks like this setting has moved or was removed. Is that correct?

It is still there… keep typing… moderators, the screenshot was taken when we had less settings.

3 Likes