Usercard Redesign Experiment

That is why I asked if it was the same user card from theme-component

I haven’t seen another user card directory there. If the experimental one available may I have a link?

EDiT found it in your first post. Will give a run thanks.

What other components do I need for it?

3 Likes

The experimental usercard is not currently compatible with the usercard directory component

3 Likes

Hmm. This is odd. Can you post a screenshot? Did you have anything else newly installed as well?

2 Likes

i installed the DiscoTOC and Welcome Link Banner components earlier this week but the latter isn’t enabled.

there isn’t much to preview - the problem is only in mobile and when in any category or topic list view, the cards won’t even come up when i click the avatars. i get the oops that page doesn’t exist or is private on every avatar. but it works fine in the topic pages when i click on the poster’s avatars.

1 Like

woah looks like my mobile links are broken to the user cards in category or topic list views even when that component isn’t enabled in the theme. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I wasn’t using them together. Awesomebot recently confirmed the user card theme component I linked needs updating.

1 Like

Did this get removed from Meta?

1 Like

They came back to Meta today.
I can see the glitch with usercard presists though. since Febuary:

1 Like

(To say a little more: in Community->Users, in card view rather than list view, with a window wide enough to force two-column layout, the final row can be wrapped into two rows, with the second row sparsely populated.)

2 Likes

I’m generally not a fan of user card backgrounds, as I find them very distracting. I can’t stop other users from setting them, but at least many users don’t bother or thankfully don’t choose overly distracting backgrounds. However, it seems that (on Meta at least) there’s a new default, auto-generated user card background, which means now everyone has a background, some particularly bright or otherwise poorly suited as a background especially on dark theme. Here’s the one generated for me for example:

Up until now I’ve been fine just using the default pink S profile picture on Meta, but making the whole background brink pink is awful. Other colors aren’t as bad, but aren’t great either. For example:

And for good measure, here’s a non-default but still very bright example:

Personally I think this change should just be reverted / not released to all installs. (I have no idea if this was intended to be enabled for all installs or only as an option.) If it is released to all installs, could we get a user setting for this? Ideally a setting to disable seeing these for all user cards (since for me my primary issue is that the bright backgrounds on dark theme are very distracting), but at the very least I’d want to disable it for my own user card since I don’t want an auto-generated background based on my profile picture.

9 Likes

yea that’s awful, dunno why they made it this way.

I also asked this in another thread. This must not be released as default in future versions at all.

2 Likes

These can be very bright. I agree there should be an option for this feature. I have set my usercard to default settings. This is what it looks like. It appears to be very bright.
The reason why this should be optional is because the bright backgrounds on usercards stand out. They look bright compared to the dark theme on this forum.

6 Likes

First-off, thanks for this feedback! Ideally, users would have a photo avatar that isn’t the auto-generated one given at signup. If that were the case, the long term plan is to select the average color of the user-photo and use this as the background color here.

The other option would be to choose your own background.

All that being said, the usercards on meta are currently using an experimental theme component for us to test out design ideas for a possible new user card.

At this point, it remains an experiment :+1:

4 Likes

the user card view on meta seems broken. i’m getting no backgrounds at all and text overlapping.

4 Likes

It looks good to me :thinking:

3 Likes

no backgrounds.

also on my laptop, some of the text is overlayed by other elements. cards are super hard to read. mobile view seems even worse.

3 Likes

Oh, you mean on this page. You’re right.

I can see an error in the console:

4 Likes

mobile view, safari iOS:

worth noting that message and chat buttons appear to be missing from desktop view of cards.

also, those buttons are rather large lol.

i don’t believe that is the experimental user card. looks like the regular user card format.

4 Likes

This experimental usercard is not currently compatible with the user-card directory theme component, which seems to be the page you are linking.

5 Likes

sorry you are correct. for some reason i thought user card view reflected in the redesign as well. i could swear at one point the Meta user card directory cards looked like the experimental redesign. clearly something is amiss but my apologies for posting in the wrong place.

i see user card directory format is still experimental and not without it’s issues:

3 Likes