Usercard Redesign Experiment

I’ve disabled the usercard directory component for now since it’s not playing nicely with the experimental usercards. :+1: (or possibly just needs an update?)

4 Likes

i really like both of this new user card design (which our site is using) and the user directory card view, and i do hope they end up as supported components at some point.

3 Likes

I, for one, like the bright, solid backgrounds – pink or otherwise.

5 Likes

I quite like them in the screenshot of dark mode and thought they looked pretty jazzy. I don’t use dark mode though, so it may defeat the object of it if there’s a big burst of colour. :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

btw, i on our site, i override the background with this:

common css

#user-card {
  background: #eeeeee;
}
2 Likes

I use dark mode pretty much everywhere and I agree that the bright colors are a bit distracting/overwhelming. In my opinion, they even add a bit of stress and urgency which is not the intent for sure. Would there be a way to tone down the user card colors so they still look gorgeous but are not so bright?

Personally I think this experiment has been great and I hope it leads to improvements to core discourse.

8 Likes

I use dark mode in part because I’m sensitive to really bright screens (especially at night) so it does indeed defeat the purpose of dark mode.

2 Likes

perhaps they should make it so that the usercards have a dark tint while in dark mode so that it is not really that bright and annoying overall

6 Likes

This is how @seanblue’s card would look like with a brightness filter on it:

Original

0.8 Brightness:

0.6 Brightness:

0.4 Brightness:

10 Likes

Thanks to @Canapin suggestion above, I have made a slight adjustment here on meta for when the color-scheme is a dark version. The background should be a littler darker. Can you check to see if this is better?

7 Likes

Yeah, imo that’s much better. I personally like the current thing with the background, but not a lot of people do, so at some point I’ll probably make a component which does the prominent color thing.

5 Likes

This is on the timeline, just waiting for it to be integrated :+1:

5 Likes

Um, I think maybe something went wrong on mobile? I looks just as bright as before (or similar) and also it’s no longer blurred.

I don’t know what you went with, but I think something around the 0.6 brightness example would probably be good.

3 Likes

Thats my fault, I didnt include the -webkit prefix in that PR, but it should now be fixed.

6 Likes

The new version does look much better.

5 Likes

update fixed on my forum too. thanks @jordan-vidrine. i really like that experimental user card TC, but it shouldn’t be experimental anymore :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I agree. Its too good to be tucked away as ‘experimental’.

6 Likes

Hello :wave:

I noticed an issue with location. It seems after the first open usercard it keeps the location url on all other usercard. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wow! Great catch! I will look into this.

6 Likes

Hi there, I ran across a bit of an issue where the usercard appears partially off-screen. It seems to only happen when the browser is maximized and using a higher zoom and/or higher dpi setting.

It’s more noticeable with Sam’s Simple Theme, but it starts to happen with the “Default” theme too depending on the zoom level and how many frequent posters appear:

1 Like