Usercard Redesign Experiment

i really like both of this new user card design (which our site is using) and the user directory card view, and i do hope they end up as supported components at some point.

3 Likes

I, for one, like the bright, solid backgrounds ā€“ pink or otherwise.

5 Likes

I quite like them in the screenshot of dark mode and thought they looked pretty jazzy. I donā€™t use dark mode though, so it may defeat the object of it if thereā€™s a big burst of colour. :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

btw, i on our site, i override the background with this:

common css

#user-card {
  background: #eeeeee;
}
2 Likes

I use dark mode pretty much everywhere and I agree that the bright colors are a bit distracting/overwhelming. In my opinion, they even add a bit of stress and urgency which is not the intent for sure. Would there be a way to tone down the user card colors so they still look gorgeous but are not so bright?

Personally I think this experiment has been great and I hope it leads to improvements to core discourse.

8 Likes

I use dark mode in part because Iā€™m sensitive to really bright screens (especially at night) so it does indeed defeat the purpose of dark mode.

2 Likes

perhaps they should make it so that the usercards have a dark tint while in dark mode so that it is not really that bright and annoying overall

6 Likes

This is how @seanblueā€™s card would look like with a brightness filter on it:

Original

0.8 Brightness:

0.6 Brightness:

0.4 Brightness:

10 Likes

Thanks to @Canapin suggestion above, I have made a slight adjustment here on meta for when the color-scheme is a dark version. The background should be a littler darker. Can you check to see if this is better?

7 Likes

Yeah, imo thatā€™s much better. I personally like the current thing with the background, but not a lot of people do, so at some point Iā€™ll probably make a component which does the prominent color thing.

5 Likes

This is on the timeline, just waiting for it to be integrated :+1:

5 Likes

Um, I think maybe something went wrong on mobile? I looks just as bright as before (or similar) and also itā€™s no longer blurred.

I donā€™t know what you went with, but I think something around the 0.6 brightness example would probably be good.

3 Likes

Thats my fault, I didnt include the -webkit prefix in that PR, but it should now be fixed.

6 Likes

The new version does look much better.

5 Likes

update fixed on my forum too. thanks @jordan-vidrine. i really like that experimental user card TC, but it shouldnā€™t be experimental anymore :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I agree. Its too good to be tucked away as ā€˜experimentalā€™.

6 Likes

Hello :wave:

I noticed an issue with location. It seems after the first open usercard it keeps the location url on all other usercard. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wow! Great catch! I will look into this.

6 Likes

Hi there, I ran across a bit of an issue where the usercard appears partially off-screen. It seems to only happen when the browser is maximized and using a higher zoom and/or higher dpi setting.

Itā€™s more noticeable with Samā€™s Simple Theme, but it starts to happen with the ā€œDefaultā€ theme too depending on the zoom level and how many frequent posters appear:

1 Like

I tried your settings, but It doesnā€™t seem Iā€™m able to reproduce.

Just to be sure ā€“ are you zooming in after you open a user card modal, or does the user card always appear as your screenshot every time you click on an avatar?

1 Like