Users are not receiving the Nice Reply badge when category is not public

“Nice Reply” is a built-in badge for receiving at least 10 likes on a reply. I have four users who have received over 10 likes on a reply, but only one of them has the Nice Reply badge. Why?

I realize Nice Reply is part of the “posting” group, along with Good Reply and Great Reply, but the three who are missing the badge do not have any badges from that group, so that doesn’t explain it.

I have the badges enabled and have run the badge job at /sidekiq/scheduler, just to be sure.

To try and debug, I adapted the Nice Reply Badge SQL to run in Data Explorer, and it does find my four users with 10 or more likes:

SELECT p.user_id, p.id post_id, p.updated_at granted_at
FROM posts p
WHERE p.post_number > 1 and p.like_count > 10

Are they not receiving it at all? Because there is a small bug, which doesn’t let you know that you have received the badge, but you can see it if you go to Profile > Badges

I have had this, the date of April 2017 is given because that is when the post that received its 10th like or in your case 25 for a good reply (albeit only given yesterday or today) was originally posted.

Are the posts with 10 likes in public topics? The badge is only granted for public topics.

They are not receiving it at all, as far as I can tell. I’m looking at /u/username/badges. It’s not just a matter of an unexpected date. I think my methodology is correct because I see the badge for 1 out of 4 users.

1 Like

Yes, it’s public. I don’t see a difference between the topic in which the one successful user posted, and the topics in which the unsuccessful three users posted.

Good to know though.

I’d like to try to debug this. Is there a way I could run the badge job from the console, maybe with verbose output, to see what it’s thinking?

Is this category “public” enough to earn the Nice Reply badge?

No, they need to have “everyone” can “See”. (and not the “Do not grant badges for posts in this category” box but I assume that isn’t your problem)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.