What are your biggest mess-ups?

I just discovered I made three unnecessary posts, got one warning and had many headaches because I made a Linux VM instead of Ubuntu, I am so dumb- this could of been prevented with one step, anyways, what did you all do that was the biggest mess up?

3 Likes

FYI Ubuntu is a flavour of Linux. Whilst Ubuntu is recommended, there are other distros that Discourse will run on.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks for the information, didn’t know that! :grin: But what I meant was that on Oracle.

2 Likes

Lesson to be learned: Manjaro forum suffered a catastrophic failure of all their images - community - Discourse Meta

2 Likes

I would also just say that mistakes are a fact of life, of being human. So long as you learn from them, all good! Mistakes are particularly educational in IT!

3 Likes

Indeed, this is MASSIVELY going to help me through-out middle school and definitely computer science as without this experience I would just not learn anything.

2 Likes

Mine is: moving my domain from www.mydomain.com to mydomain.com after YEARS of my site being live without initially considering all the links out there on the internet that would now fail (let alone current users not reading the site comms on the move). Eventually resolved this (with a proxy redirect and in addition setting up certificates for both flavours) but for a while I totally killed a lot of referals … anyone visiting the www flavour would have got a really nasty security warning instead! Some of those people would probably never come back! :grimacing:

3 Likes