What is a @here mention?

Stumbled across this in the settings:

Selection_1135

But I can’t find a description of what a “here mention” actually does.

2 Likes

Here’s the blurb from the announcement:

I’m not 100% on what circumstance it’s useful for, but that’s what it does. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Thanks @JammyDodger! I was trying to figure it out because I just re-categorized a thread & updated its title & wanted to notify the folks who had participated. But without being sure what here did, I was afraid to use it.

And at a minimum, I suppose the description of the “here mention” field could be improved to something like:

Name used for @here mention to allow a privileged user to notify up to 10 people participating in the thread. Must not…

6 Likes

I think that’s a good suggestion. :+1: It’s a bit tricky to search on meta for any guidance on it as the search doesn’t like the @here syntax, so having a small explainer in the options themselves would be useful.

4 Likes

Excellent idea :+1:

9 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on the description of the setting! It’s still fairly new so the language can be refined a bit for clarity.

In your case I think it would be enough for you to just add a reply to the topic, and users who are involved in it and are watching/tracking it will be notified about your reply. The @ notification is noisier which you may not like to do too often anyway.

4 Likes

Okay then… what is the benefit/use of the here mention?

3 Likes

I’m not entirely sure - someone involved in adding the feature will need to chime in. But it’s likely related to Introducing Discourse Chat (PRE-ALPHA). In chat it is common to @here or @all when you want to get the attention of everyone in a channel.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s a very strange feature outside of chat IMO. But we are building chat now, so…

5 Likes

Maybe it would be better for the @here mention to only work in Discourse Chat? Just my two cents… :slight_smile:

3 Likes