Mention noise / central dashboard

###Mention Noise
I was just wondering if the Discourse team get @username mention noise?

I can see you guys use mentions between the Discourse Team to draw attention to things and effectively create a todo list.
Do you have a special method for this? Perhaps use of bookmarks.

I was thinking you guys would need a specific way of giving mentions by a Discourse Team member a higher priority if you got a lot of mentions from other users.

Or is this just a non-issue?

###Dashboard
If you are providing support for a lot of Discourse instances…

Do you have a central dashboard for monitoring “at mentions” from admins / moderators from across your commercially supported Discourse instances?

I can see a gap (product wise) where logging in with your Discourse ID into a Dashboard seeing activities from across the communities I’m involved which could be helpful.

2 Likes

One thing I wish we had is a list of just our @name mentions.

Note that @riking added a “view all” mode for notifications which lets you dig into very long notification lists via your profile page, and @cpradio (I think) added a dismiss all button there. These were very helpful changes in managing lots of notifications.

4 Likes

I think seeing a blue 704 was what prompted me to do that.

I support that. Not sure why we merged it with other notifications.

That would be useful. Even on our instance where I don’t necessarily get a lot of them, but when I do, it is important for me to follow up on it. So having a spot where I can specifically see who and where mentioned me, would give me a list I can work from.

3 Likes

The list of your @mentions is available in the backend, just never displayed in the UI.

https://meta.discourse.org/user_actions.json?offset=0&username=codinghorror&filter=7&_=1423092867737

Could add a tab to the user profile page?

1 Like

Yeah that would be a great thing if you can add it @riking !

Done :smiley:

With an extremely small diff for a feature! Just 6 new lines added and 2 lines removed. (plus 6 for a temporary css)

Desktop

Mobile

We need to upgrade font-awesome, by the way. I added a temporary hack to get the @ icon to display in the meantime.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3170

7 Likes

I am against this, we need to upgrade font awesome.

No we don’t the @ icon has been in font awesome forever. We use it in the notifications drop down for the mentions.

I just don’t want this:

+// XXX HACK
+// TODO REMOVE WHEN FONT AWESOME IS UPDATED
+.fa.fa-at:before {
+  content: "@";
+}

feels yucky to me, also no harm in upgrading font awesome.

2 Likes

Actually I was mistaken we use the literal @. Probably Ok to upgrade FA before 1.2.

I’ll remove that CSS, then the icon will “just start working” when we do the FA upgrade.

edit: pr amended, will have no icon until FA upgrade

I think mentions overlap with replies. we used to split up reply types and then we started merging them all together in a bundle to minimise confusion.

I wonder if it makes sense having replies and then allowing users to filter replies by what they will.

Also I wonder what the use case is for purely looking at @ mentions vs all replies.

Name mentions tend to be more “I need someone else from the outside to look at this topic” versus conversational replies to previous posts in the topic.

1 Like

Well, @mentions aren’t necessarily replies are they?

For the UIs purpose they are … they are included in the “replies” filter.

I noticed; the change removes that and separates them out. Now only “reply” and “quote” are in the replies tab, which is the same as what gets displayed in a topic.

Seems more consistent to me.

this is a full circle on a change and I am not really seeing why do this, next we will be splitting out quotes and then end up with 4 extra tabs

Well, the goal was to see @name mentions alone, so if we can’t do that, then why bother.

Edit: re reading the above I guess that is what we are doing so I am Ok with that. A @name mention is definitely not a reply in any sense of the word.