When should automatic leader promotions be out?

Hey @sam and @codinghorror so like the title says, When should automatic leader promotions be out?

It would be very cool if you added this!

Bye, from the fluffy bear.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing. Also, what would the qualifications be to become a leader. I assume it would be like regular, but with increased quantities, though how much?

2 Likes

Not planned for the foreseeable future, we are ok with manual promotions here because the jump in abilities is so great.

7 Likes

Yes like must been on 200 days read 1400 topics 100000 posts!

3 Likes

I donā€™t think automatic leader promotions should be something because some people may take being a leader the wrong way and mess around with things.

6 Likes

Yes but @codinghorror did talk about thisšŸ˜‰

1 Like

Yes, but notice the questions that would need to be addressed.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/7?u=mittineague

Look also at site and topic promotion: invites, accepted invites, external links followed?

Election process?

Users at trust level 4 canā€¦

edit all posts
pin/unpin topic
close topic
archive topic
make topic unlisted
Split and merge topics
Daily like limit increased by 3 Ɨ

3 Likes

I donā€™t really believe this is needed for most forums. Eventually, there would be many Leaders in one forum which could cause a little commotion. If the Leader trust level isnā€™t promoted manually, then some Leaders could abuse their powers.

If you do end up adding this feature, I would suggest being able to be demoted because of your flag number or other requirements (like the Regular trust level). :slight_smile:

Good idea, @Huggingfluffybear.

7 Likes

What a corincidence! :joy: I was just thinking about that!

1 Like

I donā€™t believe this is a good idea as people can abuse their power. As a leader and a mod, I can foresee a lot of mishaps happening is this were to be the case.

8 Likes

Yes, people can abuse their power at Level 4, but they could also abuse their powers at Level 3, so I donā€™t see that as a good argument against automatic leadership.

Plus with Level 3 already requiring as much as it does to get to, Level 4 would be so so much more. Those more difficult requirements would ensure that most people who get to Level 4 would be unlikely to be abusive.

7 Likes

On my Discourse instance, back when TL3 promotion was first added, we had all sorts of issues. Many, many users who were active on the forum (mostly in forum games) got the promotion, and we had problems. Rampant topic renaming, inappropriate discussions in the lounge, etc. We disabled TL3 promotion (by requiring 110 visits in 100 days), and have not re-enabled it. When we find a user we trust, and think would be helpful, we talk to them first, then issue the promotion manually.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what should be available for Level 4 as well. Automatic leveling should be something each instance decides on its own.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t this mostly one or two problem users?

3 Likes

It was before my time, but I was told it was bigger than the two users who received essentially permanent suspensions.

2 Likes

I think maybe what should happen is if they do get automatically promoted then admins control wether or not if its okay if they are a bad user then yes of course not but most in likely yes!

1 Like

People can ā€œfakeā€ being a good member and when they receive their badge, can abuse it wildly. Iā€™ve seen hints of this happening in my very own forum.

And if this ā€œfeatureā€ were to happen, it should be that they have received 0 flags and many more requirements.

9 Likes

I agree partly.

Would someone really go through all that just to abuse the power of being at a higher rank than others? Maybe, but I donā€™t think itā€™s likely. It probably depends on the setting of the forum community. There are many diverse communities and forums.

As I said before, if this does end up happening, it would be a good idea to be able to be demoted from not achieving the requirements (such as flag number, posts/topics readā€¦).

6 Likes

Admins can already set a trust level of a user to a fixed NEVER changing level.

7 Likes

Yeah! We, mods and admins, just have to lock their trust level! But overall, I like the way promotions are given out currently. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes