Whispers indicator, suggestion for improvement

Hi, when my limited group users answer to a whisper, I wish, because they are not used to the whisper mechanism, that a clear indication that this is not going to be a public response be shown , may be in the composer when in whisper mode. Any idea? Thanks.

1 Like

The reply button already uses “whisper” instead of “reply” in that case.

4 Likes

That’s right. But I would like to have may be a pre filled text in the composer like “You are going to send a whisper post, not publicly visible”. May be with templates?

With a bit of CSS I believe you could add things to better decorate/add text to improve whisper identification.

2 Likes

With my very limited CSS knowledge (I tried), I resolved to change the text button to "Whisper (this post will not be public). That’s fine like that.

1 Like

We have a theme component which makes it obvious, albeit for the opposite reason. People were posting publicly rather than whispering.

2 Likes

Interesting. Do you have the URL of this component?

1 Like

I believe it’s GitHub - discourse/discourse-whisper-warning: This component better distinguishes a public reply from a whisper.

3 Likes

My CSS skills are still a work in progress. I am improving.

One method that can help us looking a different theme-component on GitHub and copying CSS used.

So for example if you wanted to make further modifications with using the component @HAWK presented. You can peak at the code and see how the code used works and customize things further by experimenting in your own custom component.

With using the one linked you may need to add “!important” to override .
There was recently a topic where the reply button someone posted code to append the text so the button was clearer to say “Reply to topic”. As some users when replying to a post would use the reply to topic vs the reply icon of the post/comment.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea yes :+1:

1 Like

Another tip as well if you’re familiar with “Humble Bundle” they often have pay what you want deals in bundles: I picked up a programming web bundle awhile back that had CSS books, Java script, ruby and html books and paid under $50 for a collection of something like 8+ books. Humble Bundles deals are used to support charities. It can vary a lot in what is offered from programming, video games, table top RPGs and so on

I posted a topic iirc about a month to 2 months on a package that SQL data bases. Unfortunately I missed it this time around due to other financial priorities.

So good to sign up there as they will wmail when bundles are on.

1 Like

I think I know the topic Dan means – & here’s where I shared some CSS to alter button text.

3 Likes

There’s currently one that focuses on web development:

1 Like

Just a side note, but it doesn’t work at all on iPad. But I didn’t bother start solving with my limited skills why that happened, or in this case, why nothing happened :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah not always that easy. I use my android phone maybe too much. I found a browser that works okish that has an inspect element. However it is definitely not anywhere as good as a desktop browser.

Note took a better look at the emoji reaction. Should have taken a closer look. But I guess the chef emoji might be humorous in this case or simply have ppl raising an eyebrow :joy:. To old to fix discourse says. :man_facepalming: