Whitelist domain to stop user being banned

community.fhir.org is a discourse site for asking questions about hl7.org/fhir. As such, most questions refer directly to the site. Users are often banned as spammers for excessive external links because of their links to that site, or a couple of others.

Is there a way to whitelist a domain so that users don’t get banned?

see: My questions are being banned - FHIR Community

Have you tried whitelisted link domains: Domains that users may link to even if they don’t have the appropriate trust level to post links

4 Likes

We have now - thanks.

1 Like

@pfaffman,

I don’t see this option in my settings. Did something change?

I found it. With the current IP limits, some of our customers will be blocked from posting. Can I use this to whitelist a domain? For example, allow anyone from @sony.com to post from the same IP.

I don’t know of a good solution. For a client that had many of his users all attend the same conference on the same NAT network, we just upped the rate limits. I imagine if you’re clever you could modify the nginx config inside the container to exempt that IP from the rate limits.

I have no idea how to do that, just a good imagination. :wink:

But. . . .here’s this in teh discourse.conf. I guess you’d Google Nginx and figure out how to add a line like that for the other address.

limit_req_zone $binary_remote_addr zone=flood:10m rate=12r/s;

If you do figure it out, please post. They’ll have a conference again one day.

1 Like

Oh. I’m not sure if you’re referring to limits established by Discourse or nginx. What error are they seeing?

It would be the rate limit set by Discourse.

This is the message they see: Login Error
There is a problem with your account. Please contact the site’s administrator.