Why has logout moved

That looks fine. Cog is so generic, and that menu is actually pretty important, I don’t want it to be buried under a generic gear which means “settings” or “techy geek stuff”.

9 Likes

Icon updated here:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/ffdcac9dfc93db061d38e9080b99f882cc100225

9 Likes

What do you think about, when clicking on the avatar, opening by default the Notifications tab when there are some unread, and the Preferences one when there are not ?

1 Like

I regularly refer back to notifications, so I wouldn’t find value in the regular extra clicks it would introduce.

5 Likes

Note that this also mirrors what Twitter does:

5 Likes

I support the change. We got a lot of complaints about the original shift, and this is a more intutitive change. When I go to a page to log out, I expect it to be somewhere near the avatar, and find this works more closely to how social media platforms do it. Users are already primed to look for the log out/preferences menu when clicking their avatars.

4 Likes

Here’s a logout icon from one of my email providers. It’s the arrow on the right and is separated from the gear (cog) icon by a weird “user” icon (my initials - for support).

2 Likes