Wiki-topic with censored words

Does anyone like an idea of having a publicly editable list of stop words so that entries can be added only (removed by staff only). Probably a good idea for plugin?

Current stop words list is useless especially when you have to put there ~1k words.

Also, I’d like to be able to just copy-paste a comma-separate list of such stop-words instead of pressing Enter after entering every word in the settings panel.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

I definitely second the idea of a big textfield for the list instead of single fields. It should be possible to automatically seperate words by comma and/or lf|cr.

I’m not sure about how such a community driven list would ideally look like but it’s basically a good idea to get the moderators and other team members to manage such a list.

The easiest way I found was to use the | pipe delimiter.

For example pasting the following in adds all three words in one go:
■■■■■|■■■■■|■■■■■|

Now you if you do this don’t paste in more than say 50 in one go because the JavaScript in browser will take some time adding them - just wait until the browser becomes responsive again and then paste the 2nd batch.

Do you need a trailing pipe?

ⓘⓝ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓒⓔⓝⓢⓞⓡⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓐⓜⓔ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓝⓔⓥⓔⓡ ⓦⓘⓝ

2 Likes

The goal is not to “win” but to move up the barrier to entry and make it more effort to do things you don’t want people to do. Just like spam, etc.

1 Like

Probably this could be a good strategy:

1. Don’t stop users posting stop words, but change them to *****.
  2. Notify user he’s just received a penalty point for using bad words. One more such a point and his message will be hidden until reviewed by moderator.

As a result:

1. We try to educate, which is better than just preventing posting.
  2. We discover user intention to write rude things earlier, compared to when we just prevent him sending a message, which will lead him to find a better way to spam.
1 Like

This might be off-topic, (what’s poof to you isn’t poof to me - Aus vs. US) but what I’d like to see is

• member posts link that’s in the ScreenedURLs
  • post gets hidden
  • Notification triggered for Moderator assessment

As far as completely stopping everyone from posting what might be obcene or vulgar, though meritable, IMHO is a fool’s game. It doesn’t take much intelligence to figure out what FU or mother ****** etc. was meant to be - there will always be ways to get around it.

That said. having a filter in place to make things more difficult is a good idea and keeps posts SFW - especially since they may get sent in digests.