Wordpress plugin - can't find admin api key

(Code all day long!) #1

Hi,

I installed the discourse plugin on wordpress its asking me for the admin api key, where do I find it ?

/admin/api

Or generate one from an admin user profile

(Code all day long!) #3

I have installed the plugin but there’s nothing when I go to the URL, I thought maybe it needs to be done back end but I couldn’t find anything

(Steven Greco) #4

You go to that URL on your Discourse forum not WordPress.

(Code all day long!) #5

The discourse url is not yet setup as its asking for api key

(Steven Greco) #6

To generate an API key go to yourdiscoursesite.com/admin/api. That is where you can generate an api key for the WordPress plugin. There will be a button that says generate key.

(Code all day long!) #7

as I said the discourse site is not setup, plugin is installed but I can’t see discourse… It gives me a 404 page not found

(Simon Cossar) #8

The wp-discourse plugin acts as an interface between a WordPress site and a Discourse forum. To get it to work, you need to first set up both a WordPress site and a Discourse forum. You will find the admin api key in the admin section of your forum at ‘yourdiscoursesite.com/admin/api’.

The plugin’s documentation about this is not very clear. I’ll try to add to it later this week.

(Code all day long!) #9

Hi Simon (@Simon_Cossar ),

Thanks for the reply, I did add it manually to composer.json is there anything else to do ?

(Simon Cossar) #10

I’m not sure. You need to have a Discourse forum up and running to connect to your WordPress site. If you haven’t done that, you can follow either of these guides to do it:

or:
discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

Once that is done you need to go to the Discourse site at <yourforumdomain>/admin/api and click on the button to generate a new api key. Copy and paste the api key into the Discourse API Key setting on your WordPress site.

(Code all day long!) #11

Okay Thanks I will try that … Much appreciated !