Wordpress plugin - can't find admin api key

Hi,

I installed the discourse plugin on wordpress its asking me for the admin api key, where do I find it ?

1 Like

/admin/api

Or generate one from an admin user profile

I have installed the plugin but thereā€™s nothing when I go to the URL, I thought maybe it needs to be done back end but I couldnā€™t find anything

1 Like

You go to that URL on your Discourse forum not WordPress.

The discourse url is not yet setup as its asking for api key

To generate an API key go to yourdiscoursesite.com/admin/api. That is where you can generate an api key for the WordPress plugin. There will be a button that says generate key.

as I said the discourse site is not setup, plugin is installed but I canā€™t see discourseā€¦ It gives me a 404 page not found

The wp-discourse plugin acts as an interface between a WordPress site and a Discourse forum. To get it to work, you need to first set up both a WordPress site and a Discourse forum. You will find the admin api key in the admin section of your forum at ā€˜yourdiscoursesite.com/admin/apiā€™.

The pluginā€™s documentation about this is not very clear. Iā€™ll try to add to it later this week.

3 Likes

Hi Simon (@simon ),

Thanks for the reply, I did add it manually to composer.json is there anything else to do ?

Iā€™m not sure. You need to have a Discourse forum up and running to connect to your WordPress site. If you havenā€™t done that, you can follow either of these guides to do it:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-the-discourse-one-click-application-on-digitalocean
or:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

Once that is done you need to go to the Discourse site at <yourforumdomain>/admin/api and click on the button to generate a new api key. Copy and paste the api key into the Discourse API Key setting on your WordPress site.

5 Likes

Okay Thanks I will try that ā€¦ Much appreciated !

1 Like

Hello, I take the discussion and have a question : I have a discourse site and a Wordpress site, the differences between the Api key for all users and only one is :
All users ; all users could see and interact with both discourse and Wordpress
One user means that when connected this user only can interact with both wordpress and Discourse.
Am I right ?
What is the risk to generate an all user Api key and giving all permissions ?
Thanks

Hey Yves, the API key is only used to set up the connection.

Once that connection is set up, any Wordpress user with posting permissions can publish their posts to discourse, depending on what ā€œPublishā€ settings you have.

I suggest you generate an API key for a specific admin user and call it ā€œWordpressā€.

4 Likes