Gifting discourse subscriptions

Is there anyway to make it so you can purchase a subscription for another user? Basically like gifting someone a subscription. And if there is no built-in way to do this, is there a simple solution to do it like changing to code yourself?

3 Likes

Can you just purchase the sundeck and make the other user an admin?

I have no idea what that means, but Iā€™ll make myself more clear. is there a way to make it so when 1 user purchases a subscription, they have the ability to give the other user it. 1 guy buys the subscription another guy gets access to the group

I donā€™t know the code of the plugin, but I know in detail what it does to my Stripe systemā€¦

If userA buys a subscription, it creates a Stripe customer and a recurring Stripe subscription. Back in Discourse, they are then ā€œactivatedā€ (my word, not Discourseā€™s) by having the Stripe subscription ID associated with their account. If userA wanted to ā€œgiveā€ a subscriptionā€¦ I donā€™t see how that would work in Stripeā€™s system. The customer (from Stripeā€™s point-of-view) is personA. Stripe has personAā€™s payment information on file. Stripe sends notifications to personA.

Now, my Q for the Discourse team is:

Maybe something with coupons?? So weā€™d sell userA, a one-time product for some amount of money. Then userA can pass that coupon code to userB. That way userB still has to create their subscription (in Discourseā€™s interface, passing their payment information along so Stripe sets up their Customer info and their Subscription.) BUT, they also enter a coupon code which allow charging them less (ideally zero if the discourse-admin sets up the products/subscriptions correctly.)

Hope Iā€™m not mudding the waters here . . .

1 Like

Yes! I was trying to figure something out with coupons, like instead of buying access to a group you buy a 1 time use coupon which the other person could use to receive the product for ā€œfreeā€. Iā€™d love to see this.

2 Likes

Ya I think it would have to be through coupons. I think it is a good idea and can be a good way to even invite someone to the site who isnā€™t a member yet.

3 Likes

We are using that system internally by invitations.

Keeps the most engaged audience engaged and adds confidence to our community.

Did this ever discussed internally?

Iā€™ve recently flipped my entire community to be paywalledā€¦ and I have a few paying members who would probably coupon-gift their friends who are now on the outside of the paywall.

Functionalityā€¦

Iā€™d configure a product of some new ā€œgift-couponā€ type. Itā€™s a fixed dollar-amount. (Itā€™s on me to input the dollar value.) Then I tell people, ā€œgo buy one of these coupons to give your friend a coupon codeā€¦ā€ Discourse keeps track of the dollar-value of each coupon, and create a unique code which is redeemable once.

userA purchases that product, and theyā€™re shown the coupon-code that they can give to their friend. This should probably be pmā€™d to them, so they donā€™t have to remember or write it down.

userB comes along and subscribe to one of my vanilla subscription options, and enters the coupon code. That discount is applied and passed through to Stripe like any other discount. And maybe a nice pm to the userA that says userB redeemed it. Or better, a pm including userA and userB acknowledging that it happened.

Just sayinā€™ ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

1 Like