Can Subscriptions use something other then Stripe?

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if somebody knows examples of Discourse instances with Subscription plugin using non-Stripe solutions?

Stripe is well-known, but very limiting payment system in terms of content which can be featured at the resource. We’re looking into subscription-based user groups, but Stripe is not an option for a community type we do host & maintain.

3 Likes

It’s only for stripe. If you want some other payment system you’ll need another plugin. I suspect it’ll be easier to have a separate plugin.

What payment system is acceptable? Can you link to their api? Do you have a budget for a plugin?

1 Like

It could also be accomplished via the Discourse API, either by adding code to handle the API requests to a server that’s controlled by the site owner, or by using a service like Zapier to handle the API requests. For example, use Paypal or Lemon Squeezy as the trigger step on Zapier, and for the action step, use the “Webhooks by Zapier” zap to send POST requests to Discourse to manage group memberships.

I’ve given answers similar to this so many times on Meta that it’s got me wondering if it might be worth creating Discourse apps for some frequently requested integrations. With some limitations, Discourse apps could function in a similar way to how Shopify apps work. The big limitation being that Shopify provides some functionality that allows apps to embed iframes on Shopify that can communicate directly with the Shopify API.

Possibly a Discourse Subscriptions app that could handle multiple payment providers would be a good proof of concept of a Discourse app.

5 Likes

Oh. Right. A plugin could just catch whatever webhook the subscription plugin made and plugin settings could map the subscription name to the group (and match user but email address). A group custom field could hold the associated subscription ID and move the user in ou out of the group when the subscription was updated. If it used a subscription name rather than id, a single custom field could handle multiple payment handlers.

The admin would be responsible for setting up the payment system and arranging for the user to get to a payment page.

Here is the webhook info for lemon squeezy

I’d love to do this for someone who had a budget.

2 Likes

Hi, is there any way to do this with paypal? Stripe won’t work for me giving my country is not supported.

1 Like

No. This plugin supports just stripe. If you have a budget you can ask in marketplace. There are a bunch of ways that you might go about “supporting PayPal” so describe your use case and budget as explicitly as possible.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Add different payment methods to discourse subscription