Users are requesting a way to disable topic edit notifications, particularly when edits are made by admins or moderators for minor corrections like spelling or formatting. jesselperry initiates the discussion, noting that notifications can be awkward for users who wonder why their posts were edited. codinghorror and others acknowledge the request but suggest it’s unusual. sam proposes requiring an edit reason to be displayed with the notification, which codinghorror disagrees with. Several users, including JamesNorth, j127, and Anat_Srulovitch, share their experiences and support the feature, highlighting the need for such a toggle. tobiaseigen and Jagster discuss the pros and cons, with tobiaseigen suggesting an ‘edit reason’ input in the quick edit popup. TempAccount clarifies that this feature exists but is not always intuitive. The conversation also touches on the importance of transparency and the potential for misuse by rogue moderators.
I have a private business forum and often edit clients’ posts so that things like Onebox work properly (youtube links that aren’t on a clear line etc).
The idea of the forum is to be an accurate record of business discussions and requests, so sometimes clients wonder why I’d be editing their posts.
I’m also looking for this feature. I had to manually fix hundreds of posts after import (cosmetic edits due to formatting) but didn’t realize it was sending notifications to the users. It was terribly embarrassing, because it sends weird signals when it looks like someone else has edited your content, even if it was actually just formatting. (Revisions are not publicly visible for other reasons.)
The only way I’ve found to get around it at the moment is to SSH into the server and do it through the Rails console.I’ve also had to disable users’ ability to add tags, because it creates more work to have to SSH into the server to change/remove them. Adding new tags to posts is also awkward due to the notifications, so I’m switching to SSH for that too.