I just want to know if I can use the script for a Spanish site.
AI-generated summary
The discussion revolves around the availability of a Spanish version of Discourse. wm00 started by inquiring about using the script for a Spanish site. Mittineague replied that Spanish is one of the more complete translations, with 97% of strings translated.
SidV pointed out that while some translations are not complete, they are being worked on. They also inquired about the translation of the word “validate” and were made a reviewer for the Spanish Argentina locale.
Fer_Nando completed the Spanish version, but reviewers have some work to do. SidV questioned the existence of multiple Spanish versions (e.g., “es”, “es_ES”, “es_AR”) and was informed by elijah that the bare “es” refers to general Spanish, while country-specific versions use a hyphen and country code.
Later, absi reported that their site’s Terms of Service (TOS) remained in English despite the site being in Spanish. SidV explained that they had translated the TOS in the past, but updates to Discourse would often revert them to English. They provided links to a discussion on translating TOS and a GitHub repository for their translations. After investigating, SidV suspected a bug and pointed to a related discussion on the issue.
Spanish is one of the more complete translations.
https://www.transifex.com/discourse/discourse-org/
Spanish (Spain)
97%
110 strings to translate
Totalmente de acuerdo, y lo que no está traducido, lo estamos traduciendo
![]()
Anyway, do you know how “validate” translates @Mittineague ?
Ah, I need to be “Reviewer” ![]()
Sorry, but I don’t know what you’re asking.
“validar”, but you must know that.
I referer to this:
I think that discourse “team” have “reviewers” to “validate” translations.
PS, I think that @techapj can help here ![]()
I just made you reviewer of Spanish Argentina ![]()
Thanks, I’ve already copy es_ES to es_AR, now I review, and I’ll change to argentinian idioms ![]()
Now Spanish from Argentina is translated in 100% too ![]()
If you need help reviewing es_ES, just let me know.
Also made you reviewer of the es_ES
locale ![]()
I completed the spanish version now to 100%, but reviewers have some work hehe
Gracias @Fer_Nando
A doubt @zogstrip, why is there a “ES” version, and then other “es_AR”, “es_ES”, etc.
The “es” version for what purpose exist?
See RFC 4646 - Tags for Identifying Languages “Tags for Identifying Languages” for example. The bare “es” is just Spanish (español). Bare “en” is just English. If you want a specific version, you ask for the version with your region (hyphen country code, not underscore). And absent that specific version, you want to fall back to the general one: just “es”.
Thanks @elijah, but in this case “es” version is equal for “es_ES” version.
As a reviewer, I can not review both versions, it’s a waste of time.
Yes, I was a bit confused on why there would be both. Seems redundant to me.
I’m guessing the more general “es” was started before it was realized that country specific translations would be needed
My site is in Spanish but the TOS stayed in English.
Any idea for an easy fix?
La verdad es que los TOS los traduje hace mucho tiempo, y cada vez que Discourse cambia algo, los vuelven a poner en inglés, entonces me cansé jejeje.. No es una tarea fácil traducir todos los TOS al español.
Aquí está el debate para hablar sobre los TOS en español: Términos de Servicio (tos_topic.body) 🇪🇸
Me hice un repositorio completo para no tener que empezar de cero cada vez que Discourse actualizaba los términos: https://github.com/SidVal/SidV/tree/master/discourse
Si queres sumarte al equipo de transifex para ayudar en cada traducción, sos bienvenido.
Aquí explico cómo tenes que sumarte: https://meta.discourse.org/t/como-traducir-con-transifex/104566
Update: @absi, he revisado los TOS en Transifex, y sí están traducidos. ¿Qué lenguaje en español estás usando?
¿Tienes la última versión de discourse?
@SidV pues la verdad es que no se porque sigue en ingles. La politica de privacidad, si esta en español. ¿Hay manera de solucionarlo?
Ahí verifiqué y parece ser un bug, vamos a ver qué dicen aca: TOS translated but stayed in English
Saludos
