2.4.0.beta8 update gave me the white page of death

I just updated my Discourse at gradientdescent.co the same way I always do. (Edit: That is, via the one-click browser upgrade.) There was an error during the 2.4.0.beta8 update. It didn’t complete the first time I attempted the update. I tried it again and the update said it completed successfully, but now the site is bricked. I went into the console on Digital Ocean and rebooted my server. I logged in and restarted the Discourse docker for good measure. But I’m still getting the white page of death.

Edit: If you’re having this issue, the best course of action seems to be to use the console/terminal and type in these commands:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

If you haven’t already updated to 2.4.0.beta8, avoid using the one-click browser upgrade.

2 Likes

Same thing just happened to me. I am not sure what to do now.

1 Like

@strangecosmos @AndreTechExec

I ran into problems last night with the upgrade and was able to get around the problems by doing the following steps in order:

1. Revert to a beta7 backup after the beta8 upgrade failure (in my case, a beta7 snapshot in Digital Ocean, I always take a full snapshot before an upgrade)

2. Upgrade the Docker release first from the Admin Upgrade page

3. Reboot the server (not just Discourse, the whole server or virtual machine)

4. Upgrade to beta8 from the command line as follows:

cd /var/discourse
    git pull
    ./launcher rebuild app

Based on other reports in Meta Discourse, it looks like the Docker update was causing problems and if you did both back-to-back from the one-click installer via the Admin Upgrade page, it failed for people.

1 Like

Was this via /admin/upgrade or ssh? You don’t tell us which upgrade route you always use.

Did you attempt this prior to reverting to b7, restoring a backup and using admin/upgrade? It’s all that should have been necessary here:

2 Likes

I used the one-click web interface on /admin/upgrade.

Ok, as above you didn’t need to revert to b7, a rebuild via SSH would have brought things back in line.

4 Likes

In the console, I did:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

That fixed it. The site is up and running again.

2 Likes

I believe @sam fixed this bug? Do we need a new beta release @sam?

We did fix the bug, but sadly people who experienced it in the last few days and are stuck on a white screen need to do a rebuild

We do not need a new beta as the fix is retroactive

5 Likes