A11Y: topic lists do not have headings for each topic

Hi all,

The topic list no longer shows as headings as it once did for screen readers. I don’t consider this a massive problem, and if it’s something that I should fix with themes/theme components that’s fine. Is there either a theme that I can install to enable this (some people don’t mind table-based topic nav, others do), a theme component, or should this be fixed in Discourse core?

1 Like

Thanks for reporting it, we were recently advised by a customer’s accessibility team that the topic list should not use the heading role and this lead to the removal…

Seems like the headings were preferable, and I think we can add them back if there’s a good case for them from actual people using screen readers.

Are headings in a list of topics like this expected behavior you’ve experienced on other sites too? or is this sort of thing unusual but nice to have?

It very much depends on the forum in question. I would say that for some of us, it’s definitely expected. But then you have others who are comfortable with navigating table style (but some screen readers like NVDA do have weird bugs with tables that crop up in weird circumstances so…). Would it be possible to do this via a theme component? Or make it a configurable option that’s on by default? (I say on by default because IMO accessibility options for something like this should be an opt-out feature that people should have to go explicitly disable.)