About upgrading Discourse from the Admin dashboard

Hello everybody,
I am running my self hosted instance since a couple of weeks and it seems there is an upgrade available in the admin dashboard (v3.1.0.beta2 +622 → v3.1.0.beta3 +13) and I wanted to know a couple of things about upgrading Discourse.
If I upgrade from the admin dashboard, will I have a downtime?
If it’s the case, is there some options I can enable in order to have zero downtime upgrade?

I installed Discourse using the guide in here: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/main/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

Many thanks!

1 Like

From my experience don’t believe there is downtime while upgrading via the web interface. I have clicked go back to site or now went back to reading posts once in awhile checking on upgrade status in the upgrade rab in Admin.

1 Like

Note that a dashboard upgrade is not always available, and when it is available, it’s not always successful. You might find you need to do a command-line upgrade after all, so make sure you have the time to do that.

With a command-line upgrade, you can expect 5 to 10 mins of downtime, maybe more, depending on how big your data is and how fast your host.

There is an advanced setup which delivers zero downtime, or very short downtime - you’ll need expertise! I haven’t tried this.
Move from standalone container to separate web and data containers

3 Likes

20-30 minutes is closer reality than 5-10 mins with standalone container.

1 Like

Yes I had an odf event recently where members said the loading slider was stuck in a loop. A command line upgrade fixed it. Hadn’t had this prior to thr new admin upgrade section.

Things were fine on my end I think due to cache.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.