When is upgrade actually possible from admin dashboard?

After a few years of maintaining our Discourse instance, I am still confused about the upgrade options. This thread adds to the confusion.

1. Can we ever upgrade our instance from the Discourse menu (screenshot below) without having to go to a terminal to launch the rebuild command?

1. When is the “upgrade all” button actually available to the admin? Currently, I have it greyed (see below)

1. And what this thread doesn’t answer is how can we guess when it’s not going to work? I find this feature of upgrading from Admin dashboard is doing disservice if we have to “try and see” if it works. If that dashboard menu isn’t deterministic, it’s a lot risky, time-consuming guess work, which makes me *not want to try it at all and directly go to a terminal to do the upgrade. So was there any improvement recently to make things more predictable and “safe” to use that feature from the dashboard without having to go through a terminal to do the upgrade and rebuild?
2 Likes

Hi,

When docker_manager has an update, the update button for discourse is greyed out. You always have to do docker_manager first.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

The answer is in part yes. You can use the app’s web interface to update Discourse. However iirc they recommend performing a command line rebuild every couple of months.

Recently I updated using the panel. But had weird glitches in the interface. Performing command line rebuild fixed the issues I was experiencing.

2 Likes

Sometimes a full rebuild is required to do the upgrade. In theory, docker manager knows when a rebuild is required, but sometimes it doesn’t.

Dashboard.literatecomputing.com will do a command line upgrade with a click.

2 Likes