Add a thank you when post submitted

We are getting people submitting the same post multiple times. Is there a way to say “Thank you for submitting. Your post is under review and if approved will be live soon.” popup or something when they hit submit?

Do you have required approvals on? This may be a regression if so.

1 Like

We definitely had occurrences when we had must approve first 2 posts enabled at Stonehearth where someone would submit their topic 2 or 3 times. I never tested it myself, but I would assume that they weren’t receiving a message, or the message wasn’t clear.

Hmm I wonder if we should prevent submitting more than 1 pending posts to the same topic @eviltrout? That would handle the “I can’t be bothered to read the dialogs that appear” assuming there has been no regression on approval notification dialogs appearing.

1 Like

As an FYI, this was never an issue for us (though it is still a good idea). The issue was creating the same topic multiple times, almost always a support request/crash report.

1 Like

Do you mean do i have approval required on all posts? If so then yes. That is working fine.

Ok. Yes here all posts always have to be approved. It’s a closed members bb. And what we find is they don’t see it when they post so they recreate. Again and again. Then we go in to approve and there are tons of each submitted post.

2 Likes

Just tested, there isn’t a regression. The following dialog appears (pretty hard to miss!):

3 Likes

Hey thanks for testing that!

So I guess what is proposed is a block on submitting more than one pending post per topic, or more than one pending topic? How hard would this be @eviltrout because it seems sensible to me as a preventative step?

2 Likes

This is still a good feature suggestion @eviltrout. Prevent someone from queuing more than {x} items for approval, either replies in a topic, or topics in general.

4 Likes

Once we allow editing of pending post this makes the whole reason to make a second post kind of pointless.

I think displaying pending post in the stream for the people who post something unlocks tons of awesome.

4 Likes

Is this still an issue under the new improvements @sam? I need to test the all-approval scenarios, it is an open question, what if you queue 50 replies or 50 topics. Do we have rate limiting here?

I just installed Discourse on local and I am not sure I understand how the refined system works @Roman_Rizzi / @tech-advocates

From what I can tell, we stopped with all the “Staged post” stuff and just create shadow reviewables now. So the content appears right away on the site and anon can see it. I tried on local with review every post enabled and that is how it seems to work.

If this is the case then.

1. We no longer put content in purgatory while the jury is out
  2. Entire OP topic no longer relevant
  3. All regular discourse limits are in play, nothing special. “Review” mode is simply “auto flag specific posts”.
3 Likes

We added review_every_post for sites where you need total control of what gets posted. You can’t afford to queue posts in this case without paralyzing all discussions, hence the need for a shadow reviewable. Since we don’t queue posts, posting rules apply. You shouldn’t be able to post 50 times in a row.

For scenarios when you need pre-approval on specific categories, or posts containing watched words, I think queueing is still the way to go.

4 Likes

We just need to make sure we have tested this scenario. 50 times in a row in one topic, or 50 times on 50 different topics… rate limiting must apply, so people can’t blow up the review queue intentionally or accidentally.