I propose adding a “lookup” button next to most IP addresses in user fields that are visible to admins:
Clicking the lookup button would pop up a dynamically queried box that shows a spinner, which will populate with additional lookup info about that IP as the data arrives, e.g.
We can start simple with just the top 3 here:
- Geolocation info for this IP, with Google Maps link
- reverse DNS lookup info for this IP
- lookup other accounts sharing this IP
- query server logs for this IP
- query flags filed against this IP
etc, whatever else it makes sense to query or show for an IP
This way if you have a sketchy user, you can verify where they’re coming from.