Category Group Review/Moderation

In the latest builds of Discourse I’ve recently merged a feature that some forums have been asking for some time now, the ability for regular non-staff users of a group to moderate and review content in specific categories.

How to Use

1. Enable the enable category group review site setting. It’s default to off.

2. Edit a category, and click Settings. Under the Moderation section you’ll have the ability to add a single group.

Note this is a current limitation of the category review that only one group can be granted review access per category as it makes the design of the feature much simpler with higher performance. If none of your existing groups are a good fit you can always create a new group just for this specific purpose.

3. Members of your group will now see the Needs Review section in the header, with a count of the items they can review. They can go into the queue and review queued posts and flags.

The feature is brand new so I’d expect some bugs until we polish it. Please provide feedback and I’ll address it quickly!

61 Likes

Thank you @eviltrout and in particular: great timing. I literally just started writing a (mediocre) plugin to address this need on my forum!!

The new feature works very well:

Minor feedback: for my use case of curated content fed from social media it would be useful:

• to see a cooked preview of the post content
  • for the user to be able to edit / re-title / re-categorise / tag the post whilst in the queue before approving.
9 Likes

It it “cooking” somewhat - I believe the one thing it’s not doing is the oneboxes. I’ll look into why they are not showing up.

I’ll also look at editing - the tricky thing there is they could potentially put the post in a category they don’t have access to.

5 Likes

The oneboxes are not showing up because our “cooked” helper does not go that deep into our rendering pipeline. I think for purposes of review this is OK, but if people continue to bring it up I’ll reconsider.

As for editing, I’ve given category group reviewers access to edit queued posts:

As I note in the commit though, category can only be edited by staff right now, as that field could allow category reviewers to do some odd security things (like post in a category they themselves don’t have access to.)

6 Likes

Can’t TL3 (who potentially don’t have access to all categories) already recategorise topics?

You can now recategorize and rename topics

So there must be some existing logic to handle this.

3 Likes

Sorry to clarify there is, but the queue has always made the assumption that if the person “OKs” it, the content skips validations and logic. I’d have to circle back to add it for categories. I’m willing to do it, I’d just like to see how people live with it this way for now.

This is a special case, remember, because if your group is the reviewer of X category, you probably are pre-occupied with stuff in that particular category.

8 Likes

Can’t find this under admin/site_settings. Was searching for review / category / group. Installed version v2.3.0.beta9 +28.

it’s in the group tab of the site setting panel.

you can go to this path of your forum, and you’ll find it there:

/admin/site_settings/category/groups?filter=

btw, you may need to upgrade to latest before looking for the setting.

1 Like

Can’t see that there.

Installed

v2.3.0.beta9 +28

Latest

2.3.0.beta9

You’re up to date!

Am I up to date?

no, current version is v2.3.0.beta9 +144 or higher.

go to your-forum-name/admin/upgrade

and you can update to latest there. change “your-forum-name” with the correct address of your forum.

2 Likes

I enabled this feature and selected a group for moderation but they don’t see the “Needs Review” tab. @eviltrout

That’s odd - can they visit /review directly?

1 Like

I think this was the case when I first enabled the feature, but the menu item appeared when a topic landed in the review queue.

1 Like

No, they can’t see the review queue.

This is correct, I flagged a post and now it’s appeared. @eviltrout

Thank you for suggestion :slightly_smiling_face: @ChrisBeach

3 Likes

Does the only thing this feature add is the ability to review flagged posts? We were hoping it would enable editing posts, marking solved, locking topics, pinning topics, etc.

8 Likes

It’s a step towards doing those things! We will likely improve it to add those features in future releases.

21 Likes

The “Keep Post” string is pretty confusing for flags when the post has been hidden:

I presume this comes from the dropdown which appears if the post hasn’t been hidden by a flag, because there’s no way to hide an already hidden post:

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-13%2010-30-22

But once the post has already been hidden this “Keep Post” button should be called something like “Keep Post Hidden”.

8 Likes

This is a great idea. I’ve made a pull request for it.

12 Likes

Hey @eviltrout, it appears that these category-specific moderators aren’t able to mark a reply as solution when using this feature in conjunction with the Discourse Solved plugin. Is that a bug, or a feature that would need to be added to the solved plugin?

4 Likes