Add reason for rejection of a post

Reason for rejected post would surely help. I’m having a lot of new users posting shallow, repetitive or against the rules things and by rejecting posts without mentioning a reason can be discouraging.

1 Like

I agreed whole-heartedly with providing such a reason… and to give them the opportunity to edit their post.

Not being able to provide a reason would be akin to a teacher telling a pupil “you’re wrong” and not explaining why. But for spammers… no notifications.

Edit: I meant to include this link which is a discussion on this very same topic.

This would also be helpful for us. If a user includes one piece of confidential data, we want to be able to inform them of what to remove. Whilst many people know when they are posting something offensive, many people don’t know when they are posting something confidential.

4 Likes

Would love to have this available as well.

1 Like

Would love to have this feature as well!

1 Like

Would love to have this feature as well!

1 Like

A number of us have discussed this quite a bit internally (including @chapoi, @nat, @JammyDodger and others).

We don’t yet have this prioritized, so I’m not sure when we’ll get to it, but at the moment, we’re planning to do something like this. Feedback welcome!

Allow moderators to share feedback with authors when rejecting a post so that they can adopt a more collaborative approach to moderating posts that require approval when they deem it appropriate.

We’re envisioning that moderators will see a new option on Queued Post items in the review queue:

Clicking the button will open a modal that allows the moderator to select a Reason and optionally type in additional freeform feedback:

The Reasons dropdown will include preconfigured options, plus an “Other…” option

If “Other…” is chosen, an additional text box allows entry of that reason

After clicking “Send PM”, a personal message will be sent to the user from @moderators that includes:

• A title in the form Feedback on your post in %{topic title}
  • A body that includes the reason, the feedback text, and the original post contents

The reasons will be configurable via a new site setting like this:

revise-reasons

The default reasons to include are still a bit up in the air…

• Duplicate
  • Does not meet posting guidelines
17 Likes

That looks great. Will there be an easy way for the user to “revise and resubmit” without having to copy text, find and click the “new topic” button, paste text etc?

5 Likes

We considered that, but our sense was that trying to do something like that would significantly increase the scope of the feature and also require us to consider additional edge cases in the user experience For example, if it’s a post in an existing topic, maybe the conversation has moved on by the time you’re revising it… And for new topics we still have our “1 draft at a time” limitation that could come into conflict with that workflow.

So for this iteration, we landed insetad on stuffing the contents in the private message so it can be copied and pasted.

7 Likes

It’s a really cool idea. I built a theme component for my forum that requires moderators to briefly explain why before moderating any post.

It looks like the team is working on this. I’m wondering if I should perfect my component to support I18n and expose it.

7 Likes

Sounds interesting! Please do share it here if you decide to publish it (with or without i18n support).

5 Likes

I’ve just merged this functionality into core:

11 Likes

Great job, well done!

1 Like

That looks great, thanks. I’d mark this as the solution if I could.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.