Add user to Private Message selection covers up the Send Invite button

When I add a user to an existing Private Message I get an annoying UX problem where you must click outside the dialogue to move to the next step.

First I click on the + after Add or Remove... (which seems a little redundant now I think about it)

Then I choose my user to invite:

Screenshot 2021-11-23 17.27.55

They are now selected, but I can’t confirm them and send the invite unless I click somewhere off the box:

Screenshot 2021-11-23 17.28.04

Once I’ve clicked off the box, the Send Invite is revealed.

Screenshot 2021-11-23 17.28.15

This confused me for a while, and is now happily confusing my users. Clearly we use group Private Messages a little too much!

Would you consider making it so the selected user does not cover up the confirmation button please?

3 Likes

That would be great as I think the issue is not limited to this occurrence of select-kit (is it select-kit? not sure), for instance one has to be very careful when selecting multiple groups for a user, or tags… on mobile :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes it is select-kit, we’ll definitely take a look at this soon. Thank you for bringing this up :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Coincidentally, I was just going to post about this as well, since I have trouble adding people to a message or inviting them to a group because of the way the UI covers portions of the controls. It’s especially problematic when inviting email addresses to a group, since you have the search field, the field containing the added addresses, and then the line you have to click to add the just-entered address to the list.

It’s even worse when you have some sort of browser autofill enabled, since it will remember and present yet another choice.

(I’d upload example screenshots, but I’m getting an error on all image uploads here: “Sorry, there was an error uploading that file. Please try again.”) Latest version of Brave on macOS 11.6.1 Big Sur, even after quitting and relaunching.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for binging this.

I have a fix here, which will be most likely be merged next week:

We have some logic for single selects where the component closes automatically when you do a selection, this logic is not present for multi-select as we expect people to choose multiple items. However, we do use few multi-select component with a maximum limit of 1, which makes it indeed slightly unexpected when you do a choice and the component looks like it expects more. :+1:

4 Likes

And it has been merged! Thank you @nathank for bringing this to our attention. I’ll be closing this off now, feel free to flag this topic if you need more on it.

2 Likes