Adding Custom Fields via Plugin Outlet

In my custom theme, I am attempting to create custom user fields using the plugin-outlet at preferences/profile and I am part way there.

I have successfully inserted new custom fields into User Preferences, but the information I entered into the UI does not stick after clicking save.

For example, I created this checkbox like this:

<script type="text/x-handlebars" data-template-name="preferences/profile"> [all the other code]
<div class="control-group pref-check1">
  <label class="control-label">I like beer</label>
  <div class="controls">
    {{input type="checkbox" name="check1" value="true" class="input-xxlarge"}}
  </div>
</div>
</script>

What do I need to do to save the info entered in the preferences UI (and then display it in the /user template)? Is this possible with a custom theme?

Why am I doing this?

I am aware that you can create custom user fields under settings. I have a 3-4 different types of user custom fields for which I want finer control over the visual display on the user profile. For example some fields are text and some are true/false.

Since all custom user fields have the same class this is difficult. And I find :nth-child() a pain.

So my goal is to insert them into the template and control their classes and display.

I am interested in guidance specific to my first question and to my larger goal.

Cheers

Update. I ended up accomplishing my end goal with CSS without too much pain.

I realize that creating custom fields outside of the UI provided is more complicated than what I described above. I would be interested in eventually learning how to do this if anyone can point me to the right resources.

Having a great time learning how to develop Discourse!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Discourse Cakeday adds some custom fields to the user profile.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse-cakeday

Probably the best way to approach this is find where those custom fields are added in the code (both the Ember front-end and the Rails back-end).

4 Likes

Cool , will check it out. Many thanks !

1 Like

Where method is the creation of the field?
(redoing the plugin for myself)