Allow published pages to be visible to anon

This is awesome! Thanks.

The thing that needs to be mentioned here is that these pages are visible only to those who can see the topic (right?). This means that (1) login_required sites can’t use this to publish stuff for anonymous (not logged in) users (I think that this is the only point that might need to be made even more clear), and (2) the permissions of the category where the document is housed are significant (right?).

oops:

13 Likes

Great question and yes you’re right! Sites w/ “login_required” will not be able to publish pages for anonymous users.

A user will be redirected to the login page should they click a published page URL.

11 Likes

I’ve seen a number of people wanting this to have info pages for login-required sites (e.g., how to pay, what it costs, and so on). Seems like a difficult problem to solve. Is that on the roadmap?

17 Likes

I’m running a login_required Discourse forum and it would be absolutely fantastic if published pages could be made visible to anonymous users the same way that /tos and /privacy pages are.

10 Likes

This looks awesome!

And yet another feature request: allowing a published page to be the home page.

12 Likes

I think that my GitHub - pfaffman/discourse-allow-arbitrary-homepage: allow an admin to specify the default homepage to any URL. will allow you to make a static page your home page. (I’m not sure that it’s a good idea, but you can give it a try)

10 Likes

is it possibly to see the published topic without login,
like the way the tos and privacy page showing even though the site require login. thanks very much.

5 Likes

So far published pages follow category permissions: so if your category is publicly visible, the topic will as well. You could unlist the topic so it does not clutter your public category if you only want the published page.

6 Likes

What permissions are applied to unlisted topics? ‘everyone’, I’m guessing - useful for a public site but not invite-only sadly.

I think that what those of us running invite-only forums want for published topics to have a setting to allow them to be publicly viewable regardless of permissions on the post it is based upon, so that they behave the same way as the Privacy and TOS pages. And whilst at it, being able to make the FAQ and about pages also publicly viewable if we wish.

5 Likes

Yes, my site is required login, but some topics we want to display for the non-registered users.

Anyway there’s always topics suitable for non-registered users.

5 Likes

I have this… I started with an invite-only setup, and started to go through all categories, removing everyone from the permissions and replacing with a specific group (you could use trust_level_1 since this group requires to have been logged in). Then I put topics I want public in the Uncategorized space (or you may create a specific category with public permissions). Then I removed the invite-only setting (but kept the registration off by using SSO.)

9 Likes

Hi folks!

Just wanted to update you folks on what we’ve been up to! We have added the ability for Published Pages to be public!
FEATURE: allows published pages to be public by jjaffeux · Pull Request #10053 · discourse/discourse · GitHub

There will now be a site setting: show published pages login required that you can enable to override the login_required setting.

There will also be a checkbox to publish a public page from the Page Publishing window.

This was a really popular request and I’m excited for you all to try this one out. Looking forward to the feedback as well!

38 Likes