Making the About and FAQ visible to anon

We have a login required instance, but would like to reveal our About and FAQ pages to people who are not logged in.

I note that the /tos and /privacy pages are visible to anon:

but we’d really like all four of them like this:

I know how to create links (only visible to anon) to these via a Theme component, but I can’t work out how to make /about and /faq pages (and their navigation) visible to anon.

Any tips?

2 Likes

You might have better look hosting those on the parent domain such as

www.example.com/faq
www.example.com/tos

And then linking to them from

forum.example.com

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me Jeff - I know that is an option, but it has several downsides:

1. it will erode the value of our lovely short healthforum.nz domain name - this is of course where our instance resides. We could of course get around this by having the pages in a subdomain such as info.healthforum.nz/faq
  2. the existing really nice navigation within faq / about / tos / privacy (and now guidelines oddly if FAQ is redirected) does not work for anon as they remain stuck with just tos/privacy
  3. there isn’t a facility to redirect /privacy or /about in order to have the whole bunch + navigation outside of Discourse

Surely there is a way to make those two pages (and the navigation links to them) visible to anon with a bit of theme customisation. @awesomerobot, your topic here looks to contain the building blocks that I would need (I think) - please let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree!

2 Likes

You probably want to look at something like Welcome page for private sites where you’d be adding content to the “account required” page.

As far as I know what you can do with a theme is very limited when login is required because at that point most of Discourse (not just the content) is inaccessible to anonymous users.

7 Likes