Allowing only OP and Admin to engage in a single topic

I’m basing what I’m asking basically off of this idea and this idea.

I want to be able to have a forum where a user can only reply to topics they created, and the admin has permission to create and respond to all topics.
Is there really no way to do this in Discourse? It seems like a very basic feature, one that a simple plug-in might solve. It would be perfect for what I’m trying to do.

I think this is the plugin you’re looking for: Restricted Replies - only allow certain groups to reply in a category

2 Likes

Awesome, I think this is what I need.

Just out of curiosity, can you explain why, in the first link I linked to, why “Jay Pfaffman” says in the last reply to that thread, that implementing such a plug-in would cost $5k and expensive to maintain?

1 Like

It seems that Jay’s response predates an official plugin by a few months (which fiddles with some core properties that could have been hard/expensive to maintain without some insight from the team),
and his solution was probably conceptually different than what the plugin actually do.

3 Likes

Basically you want PMs. There is zero concept of per-topic security in Discourse.

2 Likes