Announcements category settings

We have to make some edits to a topic that lives in the Announcements category; however, if we do make those changes, everyone will get an email.

Is there setting to easily change it so we can make those edits without sending an email?

1 Like

What is the default track level on your “Announcements” category? If it is “Watching First Post” users won’t be emails about edits. I’m also pretty sure they won’t be emailed for edits in the OP even if they are “Watching”.

4 Likes

I was thinking about this same scenario last night and also wondering if there was such a setting.

In my case I’m sure it’s not the same as what @ArcticF0xx had in mind, but I was wondering about moving older topics into the Announcements category later on. I wanted to put them there for better organization but didn’t want to blast everyone with “old news”, either. :slight_smile:

(Sorry to ‘hijack’ the topic but probably our questions have some relation!)

1 Like

Our default for all users is “Watching.” So they’ll only get emails about new topics? Not edits to existing?

1 Like

If you set to “Watching” they will be notified of every new post in the category.

2 Likes

But not edits right?

Yes, not edits. Just all posts, so topics and replies.

5 Likes

Thanks, @incapaz. That’s great we can make edits without prompting an email.

2 Likes

Is there some way an Admin can verify the number of community emails that are sent out at any given time? For example, can I verify how many emails are sent out on 2/25? It’s a bit tangential, but having this ability will allow us to verify whenever community-wide emails are sent out.

2 Likes

Yes, there is the report at /admin/reports/emails for that.

3 Likes

Does altering a category’s watch level retroactively apply to existing accounts or is this for new users only?

1 Like

When you change it a pop-up appears asking if you want to apply it to all users as said in How do I set category tracking level defaults historically

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for pointing that out to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is great. Thanks!

2 Likes