Anonymous posting for sensitive subjects

So, we are building a community for managers. Thus, some subjects might get sensitive. We really need to have the option to have anonymous posting – a registered member could choose to be anonymous when posting a question or answering one. Is this a possibility?

Thanks!
Virginie

3 Likes

Hi Virginie ,

Did you use the search? Discourse already includes a setting to allow users to post in anonymous mode.

It’s under /admin/site_settings/category/users

You can search your site settings from /admin/site_settings and using the filter field at the top.

There are lots of topics already discussing anonymous posting too:

If the current implementation doesn’t work for you then maybe you could elaborate further?

3 Likes

Hi @Stephen ,
Thanks! This is exactly what I’m looking for but I can’t seem to find it… :woman_facepalming:

Do all version have the setting?

Thanks!

It has been in for a couple of years, and is part of the standard install. If you’re a hosted customer it might be worth opening a ticket.

Sorry @virginie.lehmann this is our bad. We do hide this setting on our hosting as people were enabling it accidentally and getting into trouble. @HAWK can get you sorted.

9 Likes

I replied to your PM earlier @virginie.lehmann – let me know if you have further issues getting this sorted!

4 Likes

Hey there,

I’m also not seeing the option in site settings to allow anonymous logins. Could you help me get this enabled on my forum?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Andrew, we sent you a PM as you’re a customer of ours. We’ll continue discussion there.

3 Likes

can i please get this enabled? thanks!

Sue, @jomaxro can assist with this request. It is a little quicker if you use the email address provided on your admin dashboard to contact us.

2 Likes

All set, enabled for your site.

2 Likes

thank you! I don’t see the setting in admin, am I looking in the wrong place?

The setting is hidden on our hosted sites - you won’t see it. I have turned it on, however, so trust level 1+ users will now be able to use it.

thanks! dumb question: how do I make a post anonymous?

1 Like

To post anonymously, you must switch to anonymous mode. Click the spy icon in the user menu:
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.34.11 AM

When done, you can exit anonymous mode the same way.

aaah thank you i thought it was a per-post option.
followup question: how anonymous is it on a hosted plan? can site admins see who did what in anonymous mode?

If an admin really wanted to identify a user, they likely could, hosted plan or not. Not easy or simple to do, but possible. Through normal operation, however, admins will not know who the anonymous user is.

4 Likes